Founded by George W. Watts in 1885, Watts School of Nursing is the oldest nursing program in North Carolina. Located in Durham, NC, Watts SON works with local hospitals to provide practical experience for its students. The goal of the school is to provide a quality education for students and to prepare them for the work place.
Watts provides a 2 year nursing program which results in a diploma upon completion. Recently Watts SON partnered with Mount Olive College to provide students with a nursing diploma and an associate's of science in health science, with a study length of two and a half years. All students must adhere to the honor code, and failure to do so may lead to expulsion.
Courses studied in the nursing program include:
- Introduction to Basic Health Care Needs
- Holistic Care of the Client and Family
- Management of Acute and Chronis Health Issues
- Management of Acute, Complex, and Life Threatening Health
Admissions and Financial Aid
Students interested in attending Watts SON must have a high school diploma or GED, register and take the preadmission test, fill out and submit the admissions application along with the essay, a signed copy of the technical standards agreement, and all necessary transcripts.
Financial aid assistance is available through the schools financial aid department. Students interested in obtaining financial aid should meet with a counselor to discuss availability and options.
The program list below was created by historical graduation information reported by the school. This list may not represent the current curriculum offered. Visit the school's website to get more information about programs offered.
Get more information about the programs offered by Watts School of Nursing by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
- The tuition charges per year are around $13,830*
- Required fees, excluding tuition, cost about $670*
- About fifty students were granted degrees in the last reported year
*The posted costs for tuition, fees and supplies are determined through historical data and may not represent current costs.
**Repayment rates, earnings, and loan payments are estimates and should be treated as informational tools only, contact the school for official information.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Note: Financial aid is only available for those who qualify, check with the school for details.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $14,000-$17,000
- Required fees: $700
Alternate Tuition Plan Options Available
- Some programs may have a frozen tuition rate, which means the tuition will stay the same for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||55%||$5,390|
|Student Loans (Federal)||81%||$7,402|
Other Healthcare or Nursing Schools
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Watts School of Nursing.
- Centra College of Nursing in Lynchburg, VA (97 miles away)
- Southside Regional Medical Center Professional Schools in Colonial Heights, VA (119 miles away)
- Mercy School of Nursing in Charlotte, NC (127 miles away)
- Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing in Richmond, VA (139 miles away)
- Sentara College of Health Sciences in Chesapeake, VA (159 miles away)