Alderson-Broaddus College, a private four year institution located in Philippi, West Virginia, was established in 1932 through the merger of two institutions. The older of the two schools, Broaddus College, was founded in 1871 and named after a highly respected civil war Baptist minister. The second school, Alderson Academy and Junior College, was founded by Emma Alderson in 1901, which grew in scope and offerings prior to the merger of the two schools. Both schools brought with them a Christian Baptist tradition which continues to this day. The school is the only institution in West Virginia to be included in the US News and World Report's list for “Great Schools, Great Prices” and 22nd on the list for America's Best Schools.
Alderson-Broaddus College offers degrees in variety of subjects through a liberal art curriculum. The school is known for its quality of education at an affordable price, rooted in the Baptist tradition. The school also provides a number of programs related to health, as well as a large selection of minors to help augment one's education. Alderson-Broaddus College is one of the finest institutions in West Virginia, and among the best in the southern region, with programs updated and reviewed regularly to ensure quality and relevance.
Programs offered include:
Admissions and Financial Aid
Students interested in enrollment at Alderson-Broaddus College may complete the online application in order to begin the process. Students must also provide standardized test scores and transcripts, which will be reviewed prior to a final decision regarding admissions.
Financial aid is available in the form loans, grants, work study programs and scholarships. Individuals in need of financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which will be used to determine need, eligibility and awards.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the candidates Alderson Broaddus College accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Alderson Broaddus College has a total student population of about 1,200, with undergraduate students making up about 94% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $24,000-$29,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $800 to $960 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$15,755|
|Receiving Student Loans||93%||$8,078|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Alderson Broaddus College may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employment search assistance
Alderson Broaddus College has an overall graduation rate which is around 46%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||35%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||7%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Teacher Education (Bachelor's) Program
- * Accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council, Accreditation Committee (since 2006)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1988)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1992)
Alderson-Broaddus College is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (371)
- Basketball (371)
- Track and Field (371)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Alderson Broaddus College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Alderson Broaddus College.
- Fairmont State University in Fairmont, WV (23 miles away)
- Glenville State College in Glenville, WV (45 miles away)
- Frostburg State University in Frostburg, MD (69 miles away)
- West Liberty University in West Liberty, WV (78 miles away)
- University of Pittsburgh - Greensburg in Greensburg, PA (82 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Review a complete list of all the West Virginia colleges
- See all private colleges in West Virginia
- See other Christian and Bible Colleges in West Virginia
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Alderson Broaddus College for official up-to-date information.