Bethune - Cookman University is a nonprofit private historically black institution located in Daytona Beach, Florida. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. The school's United Methodist affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's mission. Enrollment at Bethune-Cookman exceeds 3,600 annually.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Bethune-Cookman offers:
- Security And Protective Services
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit high school records and test scores, which are then reviewed by the admissions committee. An ACT or SAT exam may be required prior to applying, with scores within the range of 1090 to 1340 for the SAT exam and in a range of 16 to 19 for the ACT exam is typical among students admitted to this school. Bethune-Cookman has an acceptance rate of around 67% of which only 28% decided to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The cost of tuition is close to $15,000 annually. Tuition prices may change for a variety of reasons, and that is why students should visit the school's tuition calculator to understand their cost of attendance. Bethune - Cookman University may offer financial aid for students that qualify as loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
This school offers a variety of athletic programs overseen by the NCAA. Available sports offered may include the following:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Softball (NCAA Division I-AA)
Contact information, tuition information, programs offered, and more may be viewed on school's website at http://www.cookman.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the candidates Bethune-Cookman accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Bethune – Cookman University is about 3,800, with undergraduate students making up about 96% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $13,000-$16,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- Part time students pay in the range of $560 to $670 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||99%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||97%||$10,464|
|Receiving Student Loans||90%||$7,876|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Bethune – Cookman University may provide services to students like:
- Distance learning
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
Bethune – Cookman University has an overall graduation rate which is around 55%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||23%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||20%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||6%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1996)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1984)
Bethune – Cookman University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Football (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field, Indoor
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Bethune – Cookman University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Bethune – Cookman University.
- College of Coastal Georgia in Brunswick, GA (139 miles away)
- University of South Florida - St. Petersburg Campus in St. Petersburg, FL (140 miles away)
- University of South Florida Sarasota - Manatee in Sarasota, FL (156 miles away)
- Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, FL (188 miles away)
- Savannah State University in Savannah, GA (194 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Browse through our complete list of colleges in Florida
- See all private colleges in Florida
- See other Christian and Bible Colleges in Florida
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Bethune – Cookman University for official up-to-date information.