Chowan University is a nonprofit private institution that has a large selection of degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Murfreesboro, NC, in a predominantly rural area. The school maintains a Southern Baptist affiliation, which is evident in the role it plays in program curriculums and daily life at the school. Chowan University has an annual student enrollment of over 1,200.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Chowan University offers:
- Security And Protective Services
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Recreation And Fitness Studies
Students applying for admission are generally required to submit an application, transcripts, records, standardized test scores and any requested personal statements, which will then be reviewed by the admissions staff. Most students accepted to Chowan University have an SAT score between 1060 to 1310, or an ACT composite score within the range of 14 to 18. Chowan University admits approximately 60% of students applying. Of those admitted, about 24% of students enrolled. More information on admissions can be found at chowan.edu.
The cost of tuition is nearly $23,000, but may change each year. Students are encouraged to visit the school's net price calculator to better understand their personal tuition costs. The cost of on-campus housing is estimated to be $4,000 for the year. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the necessary requirements.
Chowan University offers a variety of athletic programs overseen by the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
Students who wish to get more about this school can take a look at their website at http://www.chowan.edu/.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the applicants Chowan University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Chowan University is about 1,500. The student body is made up of 99% undergraduate students and 36% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $26,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- For part-time students, charges are between $390-$460 per unit
- On-campus housing and meals are estimated to cost around $10,000, the price includes the serving of nineteen meals every week
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$15,785|
|Receiving Student Loans||92%||$7,536|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Chowan University may provide student services including:
- Distance learning
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Work study style employment
The overall graduation rate of Chowan University is close to 24%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||7%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 2000)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1999)
Chowan University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Basketball (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Football (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Chowan University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Chowan University.
- Elizabeth City State University in Elizabeth City, NC (51 miles away)
- Fayetteville State University in Fayetteville, NC (138 miles away)
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke in Pembroke, NC (169 miles away)
- Lincoln University of Pennsylvania in Lincoln University, PA (242 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Brandywine in Media, PA (257 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Browse through our complete list of colleges in North Carolina
- Compare other North Carolina private colleges
- Review a list of North Carolina Bible and Christian Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Chowan University for official up-to-date information.