EMU is a liberal arts college that offers an undergraduate education and assists students in developing important skills useful in pursuit of graduate education or employment. A liberal arts curriculum exposes students to a variety of topics and subjects. The school is located in Harrisonburg, VA, which is a predominantly urban area. The school's Mennonite Church affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's mission. Approximately a thousand students enroll at EMU yearly.
Students can pick from several areas of study, including:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Interdisciplinary Studies
To be considered for admissions, students may be required to complete an application, write a personal statement, and submit high school records and test scores, which are then reviewed by the admissions committee. The majority of students admitted to EMU earn an SAT score between 1360 to 1790, or an ACT composite score within the range of 21 to 28. Approximately 70% of all students that applied were accepted at Eastern Mennonite University, with 40% of those admitted choosing to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found at emu.edu.
The cost of tuition is approximately $29,000, but may change from year to year. Students are encouraged to visit the school's tuition calculator to better estimate their cost of attendance. School housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is around $5,400. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the required requirements.
The Eastern Mennonite University Royals participate in a number of intercollegiate athletic programs, with competitions managed and overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Field Hockey (NCAA Division III)
Students may take a look at the school's http://www.emu.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the candidates Eastern Mennonite University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Eastern Mennonite University has a total student population of about 1,800. The student body is made up of 69% undergraduate students and 14% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $35,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- Per unit charges are around $1,400 for part time students
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||98%||$18,197|
|Receiving Student Loans||68%||$6,784|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Eastern Mennonite University may provide student services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
The overall graduation rate of Eastern mennonite univ is close to 64%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||49%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||12%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Eastern Mennonite University
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) & Supervisory CPE Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- Theology (Ministry) Program
Campus: Eastern Mennonite Seminary Lancaster Campus
- Theology (Ministry) Program
- * Accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (since 2008)
Eastern Mennonite University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Old Dominion Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Old Dominion Athletic Conference)
- Field Hockey
- Track and Field, Indoor
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Eastern Mennonite University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Eastern Mennonite University.
- Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, VA (58 miles away)
- University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, VA (77 miles away)
- Frostburg State University in Frostburg, MD (81 miles away)
- Longwood University in Farmville, VA (85 miles away)
- Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, WV (88 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Compare all colleges & universities in Virginia
- Compare other Virginia private colleges
- Compare this school to other Virginia liberal arts colleges
- See if these other Christian Colleges in Virginia may interest you?
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Eastern Mennonite University for official up-to-date information.