Fisk University is a nonprofit private historically black institution located in Nashville, TN. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. The lower student/teacher ratio and access to faculty is due primarily to the smaller enrollment, about 600 students, maintained by Fisk University.
Areas of study offered at Fisk University include:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- English Language And Literature
The admissions process starts with the submission of an application, transcripts, and test scores, which are then evaluated by admissions staff. Very common exam scores among applicants accepted to Fisk University are between 18 to 24 for the ACT exam, or 1250 to 1613 on the SAT exam. More information from the admissions office can be found at fisk.edu.
Undergraduate tuition is approximately $21,000 for the year, though it may change based on any number of circumstances. Students may visit the school's net price calculator to determine cost. Housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is around $5,800. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the required requirements.
The Fisk University "Bulldogs" compete in a number of intercollegiate sports through participation in the NAIA. Available sports offered may include but not limited to:
- Basketball (NAIA Division I)
- Softball (NAIA Division I)
- Tennis (NAIA Division I)
- Volleyball (NAIA Division I)
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the applicants Fisk University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Fisk University is about 860, with undergraduate students making up about 94% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $20,000-$24,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- Part time students pay in the range of $820 to $980 per unit
- Some programs may have a frozen tuition rate, which means the tuition will stay the same for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||99%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||95%||$15,753|
|Receiving Student Loans||77%||$12,130|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Fisk University may offer student services like:
- Distance learning
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
- Assisting students to find work
The overall graduation rate of Fisk University is close to 52%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||41%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1952)
Fisk University is a Member of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), with many of the sports belonging to the NAIA Division I classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Fisk University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Fisk University.
- Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN (40 miles away)
- Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville, TN (72 miles away)
- Athens State University in Athens, AL (94 miles away)
- Kentucky State University in Frankfort, KY (177 miles away)
- University of Montevallo in Montevallo, AL (187 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Browse through our complete list of colleges in Tennessee
- Browse our list of private colleges in Tennessee
- Find other great liberal arts colleges in Tennessee
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Fisk University for official up-to-date information.