Franciscan University of Steubenville, a nonprofit private institution, offers an assortment of educational opportunities, allowing students to choose which major is right for them. Located in Steubenville, Ohio, it offers an urban setting for students to study in. The school maintains a Roman Catholic affiliation, which is evident in the role it plays in program curriculums and daily life at the school. Franciscan has an annual student enrollment of around 2,700.
Areas of study offered at Franciscan include but are not limited to:
- Theology And Religious Vocations
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit high school records and test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions office. Either the ACT or SAT exam must be taken in order to be able to apply to this school. Scores in a range of 23 to 29 on the ACT or 1580 to 1890 on the SAT are recommended to increase your chances for getting accepted. Franciscan University of Steubenville admits roughly 80 percent of students applying. Of those admitted, about 34 percent of students enrolled. More information from the admissions office can be found through the school's primary portal.
Undergraduate tuition is approximately $23,000 per year, though it may vary based on different types of circumstances. Students should check the school's price of attendance calculator to get a more personalized estimate of costs. Housing is available for students, and generally costs around $4,500 for the year. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the necessary requirements by way of grants or student loans.
The mascot for Franciscan is the "Barons", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through oversight by the NCAA. Sports available:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Soccer (NCAA Division III)
Students can visit the Franciscan website to obtain a complete list of academic programs offered, student services, and more that is available at this school.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the students Franciscan University of Steubenville accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Franciscan University of Steubenville has a total student population of about 2,700. The student body is made up of 77% undergraduate students and 17% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $24,000-$29,000 per year
- Per unit charges are around $890 for part time students
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||99%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||99%||$9,794|
|Receiving Student Loans||83%||$7,341|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Franciscan University of Steubenville may offer services including:
- Online course work available
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
With a high graduation rate of around 73%, Franciscan University of Steubenville is among the most successful schools in the area.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||61%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||9%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 2001)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1985)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2010)
Franciscan University of Steubenville is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference)
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
- Other Sports
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Franciscan University of Steubenville by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Franciscan University of Steubenville.
- West Liberty University in West Liberty, WV (12 miles away)
- Ohio University - Eastern Campus in Saint Clairsville, OH (26 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Greater Allegheny in McKeesport, PA (42 miles away)
- California University of Pennsylvania in California, PA (44 miles away)
- Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania in Slippery Rock, PA (56 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Browse through our complete list of colleges in Ohio
- Get a list of all private colleges in Ohio
- Compare other Ohio Christian and Bible Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Franciscan University of Steubenville for official up-to-date information.