Houghton College is a liberal arts college that offers an undergraduate education and helps students in developing important skills useful in pursuit of graduate education or employment. A liberal arts curriculum exposes students to a variety of topics and subjects. The school is located in Houghton, NY, which is a predominantly rural area. The school maintains a Wesleyan affiliation, which is evident in the role it plays in program curriculums and daily life at the school. Houghton College has a yearly student enrollment of approximately 1,300.
Areas of study available at Houghton College include:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Communications And Journalism
To be considered for admissions, students may be required to complete an application, write a personal statement, and submit school transcripts, which are then studied by admissions staff. The majority of students accepted to this school have an SAT score between 1030 - 1260, or an ACT score between 22 - 27. This school has an admissions rate of 72% of which only 34% decided to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is nearly $29,000 per year. Tuition prices may change for a variety of reasons, and as such students should use the school's tuition calculator to identify their cost of attendance. The cost of on-campus housing is approximately $4,500 annually. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the required requirements in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The Houghton College Highlanders participate in several intercollegiate athletic programs, as part of the NAIA organization. Available athletic programs offered may include but not limited to:
- Basketball (NAIA Division II)
- Track & Field (NAIA Division II)
- Field Hockey (NAIA Division II)
To see a full list of areas of study, enrollment information, financial aid details, and more, please visit the school's website at http://www.houghton.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give an overview of the applicants Houghton accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Houghton College is around 1,100 students. The student body is made up of 98% undergraduate students and 25% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $32,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- Per unit charges are around $1,400 for part time students
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$18,073|
|Receiving Student Loans||82%||$7,657|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Houghton College may provide student services like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
Houghton has a very high graduation rate when compared to nearby similar schools.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||65%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||7%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Teacher Education (Bachelor's) Program
- * Accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council, Accreditation Committee (since 2005)
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1946)
Houghton College is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NAIA Division II classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Empire Eight)
- Track and Field (Empire Eight)
- Field Hockey
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Houghton College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Houghton College.
- SUNY at Geneseo in Geneseo, NY (31 miles away)
- University of Pittsburgh - Bradford in Bradford, PA (42 miles away)
- University of West Alabama in Livingston, AL (43 miles away)
- SUNY at Fredonia in Fredonia, NY (60 miles away)
- Mansfield University of Pennsylvania in Mansfield, PA (71 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Visit the main New York colleges & universities profile page
- Get a list of all private colleges in New York
- See all the liberal arts colleges in New York
- See if these other Christian Colleges in New York may interest you?
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Houghton College for official up-to-date information.