HBU provides a variety of educational opportunities for students to aid them in their growth and development. The school is located in Houston, Texas and operated as a private institution. The school maintains a Southern Baptist affiliation, which is evident in the role it plays in program curriculums and daily life at the school. Approximately two thousand students are enrolled yearly at HBU.
Students can pick from a few areas of study, including but not limited to:
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
The admissions process starts with the submission of an application, school records, and test scores, which are then reviewed by admissions officials. Very common test scores among students admitted to Houston Baptist University are within the range of 22 to 27 on the ACT, or 1450 to 1780 for the SAT exam. 38% of students that apply are admitted to HBU, of which 13% choose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
Tuition is approximately $28,000 annually, though it may change based on different types of circumstances. Students may check the school's tuition calculator to determine a more personalized cost estimate. Housing is available on-campus for students. The annual cost of housing is approximately $3,800. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the necessary requirements.
The mascot for HBU is the "Huskies", and they participate in intercollegiate sports through the oversight and organization of the NCAA. Available sports offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AAA)
Contact information, academics information, areas of study, and much more may be accessed on school's website at http://www.hbu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the applicants Houston Baptist University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Houston Baptist University is about 3,200, where graduate students make up roughly 17% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $28,000-$34,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- For part-time students, charges are between $1,200-$1,400 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$18,060|
|Receiving Student Loans||59%||$7,513|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Houston Baptist University may provide services to students like:
- Distance learning
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
The overall graduation rate of Houston Baptist University is around 44%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||24%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1972)
Houston Baptist University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AAA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southland Conference)
- Basketball (Southland Conference)
- Track and Field (Southland Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Houston Baptist University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Houston Baptist University.
- Texas Southern University in Houston, TX (9 miles away)
- University of Houston - Downtown in Houston, TX (10 miles away)
- University of Houston - Clear Lake in Houston, TX (26 miles away)
- Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, TX (39 miles away)
- Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX (70 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Compare schools and see a list of all colleges in Texas
- Find out what other private colleges are located in Texas
- Browse our detailed list of Bible & Christian Colleges in Texas
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Houston Baptist University for official up-to-date information.