JCU is a nonprofit private school that has a large number of programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in University Heights, Ohio, in a predominantly suburban area. The Roman Catholic affiliation of this school is an important part of the history, education and mission that defines the school. Nearly 3,700 students enroll at John Carroll University per year.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Communications And Journalism
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- English Language And Literature
The admissions process starts with the submission of an application, transcripts, records, and standardized test scores, which are then evaluated by admissions staff. Students may submit either the ACT or SAT exam scores to be considered for admissions to JCU. A score between 1460 - 1790 on the SAT, or 22 - 27 for the ACT is common among admitted students. 84% of those who apply are admitted to this school, of which 27 percent choose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
Tuition is approximately $35,000 per year, though it may vary based on different types of circumstances. Students may check the school's price of attendance calculator to determine cost. The price of on-campus housing is estimated to be $5,300 annually. Students enrolled at John Carroll University may qualify for aid which is typically grants and loans.
Athletic programs are available at John Carroll University through the NCAA, allowing students to compete in intercollegiate sports. Available athletic programs offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
- Football (NCAA Division III)
Students should visit the school's http://www.jcu.edu/index.php to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may provide a better idea of the applicants JCU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
John Carroll University has a total student population of about 3,700. The student body is made up of 86% undergraduate students and 21% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $36,000-$43,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- For part-time students, charges are between $1,100-$1,300 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$23,774|
|Receiving Student Loans||67%||$7,813|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, John Carroll University may offer services like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
John Carroll University has a high graduation rate when compared to similar schools nearby.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||65%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||9%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||1%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1957)
JCU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Football (Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by John Carroll University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to John Carroll University.
- Cleveland State University in Cleveland, OH (7 miles away)
- Ohio State University - Mansfield Campus in Mansfield, OH (72 miles away)
- Edinboro University of Pennsylvania in Edinboro, PA (77 miles away)
- Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania in Slippery Rock, PA (82 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Beaver in Monaca, PA (85 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Visit the main Ohio colleges & universities profile page
- See all private colleges in Ohio
- Review a list of Ohio Bible and Christian Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact John Carroll University for official up-to-date information.