OXY is a liberal arts college that offers an undergraduate education and assists students in developing important skills useful in pursuit of graduate education or employment. A liberal arts curriculum exposes students to a variety of topics and subjects. The school is located in Los Angeles, CA, which is a predominantly urban area. Enrollment at Occidental College exceeds 2,100 annually.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Social Sciences
- Natural Resources And Conservation
- English Language And Literature
- Visual And Performing Arts
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
The admissions process starts with the submission of an application, transcripts, and standardized test scores, which are then reviewed by admissions staff. Most common scores among applicants admitted to this school are between 27 to 31 on the ACT, or 1810 to 2090 on the SAT. Approximately 40 percent of all applicant were accepted at OXY, with 23 percent of those admitted choosing to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
Undergraduate tuition is approximately $47,000 per year, though it may vary based on any number of circumstances. Students should check the school's net price calculator to see the personalize cost of attendance. Housing may be available for students that want to live on-campus at an estimated cost of $7,500 each year. OXY may offer financial aid for students that qualify in the form of grants and loans.
The OXY Tigers participate in a number of athletic programs, as part of the NCAA organization. Available athletic programs offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
- Football (NCAA Division III)
- Golf (NCAA Division III)
Contact information, admission forms, areas of study, and much more can be accessed on school's website at http://www.oxy.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the applicants Oxy accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Occidental College has a total student population of about 2,000, where graduate students make up roughly 26% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $49,000-$58,000 per year
- Part time students pay in the range of $2,000 to $2,400 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||70%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||68%||$33,159|
|Receiving Student Loans||55%||$7,078|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Occidental College may offer services to students like:
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care for children
With a graduation rate of around 88%, Oxy is among the most successful schools in the area.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||83%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||4%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||1%|
Occidental College is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division III (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southern California Intercoll Ath Conf)
- Basketball (Southern California Intercoll Ath Conf)
- Track and Field (Southern California Intercoll Ath Conf)
- Football (Southern California Intercoll Ath Conf)
- Swimming and Diving
- Water Polo
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Occidental College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Occidental College.
- California State University - Dominguez Hills in Carson, CA (18 miles away)
- California State University - Fullerton in Fullerton, CA (25 miles away)
- California State University - Channel Islands in Camarillo, CA (47 miles away)
- California State University - San Bernardino in San Bernardino, CA (51 miles away)
- California State University - San Marcos in San Marcos, CA (91 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Get a list of all the colleges in California
- Browse our list of private colleges in California
- Find other great liberal arts colleges in California
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Occidental College for official up-to-date information.