Salem College is a liberal arts college that offers an undergraduate education and helps students in developing important skills useful in pursuit of graduate education or employment. A liberal arts curriculum exposes students to a variety of topics and subjects. The school is located in Winston Salem, NC, which is a predominantly urban area. The Moravian Church affiliation of this school is an important part of the history, education and curriculum that defines the school. Enrollment at Salem College is nearly a thousand per year.
Areas of study offered at Salem College include but are not limited to:
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Interdisciplinary Studies
The admissions process starts with the submission of an application, student records, and test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions staff. Students may take either the SAT or ACT scores to be considered for admissions to Salem College. A score between 1360 to 1760 on the SAT, or 19 to 27 for the ACT is usually submitted among accepted students. 60% of those who apply are accepted to this school, of which 47 percent choose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is close to $25,000 per year. Tuition prices may change for any number of reasons, and that is why students should visit the school's price of attendance calculator to identify their costs. Housing may be available for students that want to live on-campus for around a cost of $6,400 for the year. Students enrolled at Salem College may qualify for aid which is generally loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
Salem College has a variety of athletic programs overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs available include:
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
- Soccer (NCAA Division III)
- Tennis (NCAA Division III)
- Volleyball (NCAA Division III)
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the candidates Salem College accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Salem College is about 1,100. The student body is made up of 86% undergraduate students and 17% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $26,000-$31,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- For part-time students, charges are between $370-$450 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||98%||$24,177|
|Receiving Student Loans||77%||$6,028|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Salem College may offer services to students like:
- Distance learning
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of Salem College is around 64%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||61%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1931)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1991)
Salem College is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Great South Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Great South Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Salem College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Salem College.
- Winston - Salem State University in Winston-Salem, NC (0.8 miles away)
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro in Greensboro, NC (24 miles away)
- Radford University in Radford, VA (74 miles away)
- North Carolina Central University in Durham, NC (75 miles away)
- Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC (90 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Compare schools and see a list of all colleges in North Carolina
- Find out what other private colleges are located in North Carolina
- Review all the liberal arts colleges located in North Carolina
- Review a list of North Carolina Bible and Christian Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Salem College for official up-to-date information.