Samford University provides a variety of degree programs for students to assist them in their growth and development. The school is located in Birmingham, AL and operated as a private institution. The school maintains a Baptist affiliation, which is evident in the role it plays in program curriculums and daily life at the school. Approximately 4,700 students are enrolled yearly at Samford University.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Samford University offers:
- Legal Professions And Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
Students applying for admission are most often asked to submit an application, school records, test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions office. Either the ACT or SAT exam must be taken in order to apply to this school. Scores between 23 to 29 on the ACT or 1040 to 1270 on the SAT are needed to greatly increase the chance of getting accepted. This school admits approximately 80 percent of students applying annually. Of those students accepted, about 32 percent attended the school. More information from the admissions office can be found at samford.edu.
Tuition is approximately $26,000 annually, though it may change based on any number of circumstances. Students should visit the school's net price calculator to determine cost. Housing is available for students, which costs around $4,400 each year. This school may help with costs by offering financial aid for students who are eligible by way of grants and loans.
The Samford University Bulldogs participate in a number of athletic programs, within the NCAA. Athletic programs offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students who wish to learn more about Samford University can check out their website at http://www.samford.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the applicants Samford University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Samford University is around 5,200 students, where graduate students make up roughly 16% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $28,000-$33,000 for both in-state and out-of-state students
- For part-time students, charges are between $920-$1,100 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||98%||$13,692|
|Receiving Student Loans||36%||$8,864|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Samford University may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
Samford University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 69%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||49%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dietetics Program
- Law Program
- Music Program
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- Theology (Ministry) Program
Samford University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southern Conference)
- Basketball (Southern Conference)
- Track and Field (Southern Conference)
- Football (Southern Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Samford University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Samford University.
- University of Montevallo in Montevallo, AL (3 miles away)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham in Birmingham, AL (4 miles away)
- The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, AL (47 miles away)
- Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, AL (64 miles away)
- Marion Military Institute in Marion, AL (66 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Browse through our complete list of colleges in Alabama
- Find out what other private colleges are located in Alabama
- See if these other Christian Colleges in Alabama may interest you?
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Samford University for official up-to-date information.