Shaw University is a nonprofit private historically black institution located in Raleigh, North Carolina. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. The Baptist affiliation of this school is an important part of the history, education and curriculum that defines the school. Shaw University has a yearly student enrollment of approximately 2,700.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Shaw University offers:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Security And Protective Services
- Social Sciences
- Communications And Journalism
Students applying for admission are required to submit an application, school records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions staff. 48% of applicants are admitted to this school, of which 23% choose to attend.
The cost of tuition is close to $15,000 for the year. Tuition prices may change for a variety of reasons, and as such students should use the school's price of attendance calculator to understand their costs. Housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is around $3,900. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the necessary requirements by way of grants or student loans.
The mascot for Shaw University is the "Bears", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through oversight by the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
Students may take a look at the school's http://www.shawu.edu to see additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the candidates Shaw University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Shaw University has a total student population of about 1,600, with undergraduate students making up about 92% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $12,000-$14,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $490 to $590 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||99%||$10,600|
|Receiving Student Loans||96%||$7,683|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Shaw University may provide services like:
- Online course work available
- Night and weekend classes available
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
Shaw University has an overall graduation rate which is around 30%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||9%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1992)
- Theology (Ministry) Program
- * Accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (since 1997)
Shaw University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Football (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Shaw University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Shaw University.
- North Carolina Central University in Durham, NC (20 miles away)
- Fayetteville State University in Fayetteville, NC (51 miles away)
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke in Pembroke, NC (82 miles away)
- Winston - Salem State University in Winston-Salem, NC (92 miles away)
- Longwood University in Farmville, VA (107 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Get a list of all the colleges in North Carolina
- See all private colleges in North Carolina
- See other Christian and Bible Colleges in North Carolina
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Shaw University for official up-to-date information.