SU, a nonprofit private institution, offers a large number of educational opportunities, allowing students to choose which major is right for them. Located in Winchester, VA, the campus resides in an urban setting for students to study in. The school's United Methodist affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's curriculum. Approximately three thousand students are enrolled annually at SU.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs SU offers:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to complete an application, write a personal statement, and submit any transcripts or test scores, which are then studied by admissions officials. Students may submit either the ACT or SAT scores to be considered for admissions to SU. A score between 900 to 1140 on the SAT, or 19 to 24 for the ACT is common among admitted students. SU admits roughly 80 percent of applicants. Of those students accepted, around 34 percent registered for enrollment. More information on admissions can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is approximately $30,000 per year. Tuition prices may change for any number of reasons, and therefore students should use the school's tuition calculator to understand their cost of attendance. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the required requirements.
The mascot for SU is the "Hornets", and they participate in intercollegiate sports through the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
Contact information, academics information, programs offered, and more can be viewed on school's website at http://www.su.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the students Shenandoah University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Shenandoah University is around 3,800 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 12% enrolling as graduate students and 53% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $30,000-$35,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- For part-time students, charges are between $860-$1,000 per unit
- On-campus housing and meals are estimated to cost around $12,000, the cost includes the serving of nineteen meals every week
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$14,729|
|Receiving Student Loans||71%||$10,010|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Shenandoah University may offer services like:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
Shenandoah University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 46%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||34%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Teacher Education (Bachelor's) Program
- Graduate Teacher Education Program
- Music Program
- Nurse Midwifery Education Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
Shenandoah University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Old Dominion Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Old Dominion Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Old Dominion Athletic Conference)
- Field Hockey
- Football (Old Dominion Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Shenandoah University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Shenandoah University.
- Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, WV (26 miles away)
- Frostburg State University in Frostburg, MD (53 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Mont Alto in Mont Alto, PA (57 miles away)
- James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA (63 miles away)
- University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, VA (70 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Review a complete list of all the Virginia colleges
- Find out what other private colleges are located in Virginia
- Browse our detailed list of Bible & Christian Colleges in Virginia
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Shenandoah University for official up-to-date information.