Southern Wesleyan University is a nonprofit private school that has many majors and degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Central, SC, in a predominantly rural area. The school's Wesleyan affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's mission. Around a thousand students enroll at Southern Wesleyan University yearly.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Philosophy And Religious Studies
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
Students applying for admission are generally required to submit an application, transcripts, records, test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the school. Very common exam scores among applicants admitted to Southern Wesleyan University are within the range of 20 - 24 for the ACT exam, or 1230 - 1540 for the SAT exam. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
Tuition is approximately $23,000 annually, though it may change based on different types of circumstances. Students may check the school's tuition calculator to get a more personalized estimate of costs. The cost of on-campus housing is around $4,300 for the year. Some students at Southern Wesleyan University may be eligible for financial aid, which is generally provided as scholarships, grants, and loans.
The mascot for SWU is the "Warriors", and they participate in intercollegiate sports through the oversight and organization of the NAIA. Athletic programs available include:
- Baseball (NAIA Division I)
- Basketball (NAIA Division I)
- Golf (NAIA Division I)
Students who wish to see more about SWU can take a look at their website at http://www.swu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the candidates Southern Wesleyan University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Southern Wesleyan University is around 1,700 students, with undergraduate students making up about 76% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $23,000-$28,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $930 to $1,100 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||97%||$16,614|
|Receiving Student Loans||75%||$6,845|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Southern Wesleyan University may provide services like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of Southern Wesleyan University is approximately 44%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||27%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||11%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 2008)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2008)
Southern Wesleyan University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NAIA Division I classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southern States Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Southern States Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Southern Wesleyan University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Southern Wesleyan University.
- University of South Carolina - Upstate in Spartanburg, SC (49 miles away)
- Lander University in Greenwood, SC (50 miles away)
- University of North Carolina at Asheville in Asheville, NC (63 miles away)
- Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville, GA (87 miles away)
- University of South Carolina - Aiken in Aiken, SC (98 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Visit the main South Carolina colleges & universities profile page
- Get a list of all private colleges in South Carolina
- See other Christian and Bible Colleges in South Carolina
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Southern Wesleyan University for official up-to-date information.