Southwest Baptist University is a nonprofit private college that has a large selection of majors available for students to choose from. The school is located in Bolivar, MO, in a predominantly rural area. The school's Southern Baptist affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's curriculum. Enrollment at Southwest Baptist University is nearly three thousand yearly.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs SBU offers:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Theology And Religious Vocations
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
The admissions process will include the submission of an application, transcripts, records, and test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions staff. Either the ACT or SAT exam can be taken to apply to this school. Scores within the range of 20 - 26 on the ACT or 830 - 1150 on the SAT are required to greatly increase your chances for getting accepted. Southwest Baptist University admits roughly 90 percent of students applying. Of those accepted, nearly 33 percent enrolled. Additional information regarding admissions can be found through the school or by requesting information here.
Undergraduate tuition is approximately $20,000 per year, though it may change based on different types of circumstances. Students may check the school's net price calculator to determine a more personalized cost estimate. The cost of on-campus housing is approximately $3,300 for the year. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the required requirements by way of grants or student loans.
The Southwest Baptist University Bearcats participate in several intercollegiate athletic programs, within the NCAA organization. Athletic programs that are available include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
Students should visit the school's sbuniv.edu to see additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the applicants Southwest Baptist University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Southwest Baptist University is around 3,700 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 12% enrolling as graduate students and 80% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $21,000-$25,000 per year
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $780 to $930 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||82%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||82%||$15,089|
|Receiving Student Loans||52%||$6,308|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Southwest Baptist University may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
Southwest Baptist University has an overall graduation rate which is close to 52%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||37%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Southwest Baptist University
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1978)
Campus: Southwest Baptist University Springfield Center
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Radiology Technician Program
Southwest Baptist University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Basketball (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Track and Field (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Football (Great Lakes Valley Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Southwest Baptist University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Southwest Baptist University.
- Missouri Southern State University in Joplin, MO (67 miles away)
- Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, KS (73 miles away)
- University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, MO (79 miles away)
- Lincoln University - Jefferson City in Jefferson City, MO (95 miles away)
- Haskell Indian Nations University in Lawrence, KS (136 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Browse through our complete list of colleges in Missouri
- See all private colleges in Missouri
- Review a list of Missouri Bible and Christian Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Southwest Baptist University for official up-to-date information.