Alabama A&M University is a public historically black institution located in Normal, AL. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. As a land grant institution this school is among larger public institutions in the state of Alabama. Around five thousand students enroll at A&M annually.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Public Administration And Social Services
To be considered for admissions, students may be asked to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit any transcripts or test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions office. Students may take either the ACT or SAT scores to be considered for admissions at Alabama A&M University. A score between 1100 - 1340 on the SAT, or 16 - 19 for the ACT is common among accepted students. This school has an acceptance rate of about 50% of which only 24% chose to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found at aamu.edu.
Tuition & fees at this school are different for in-state and nonresidents. In-state tuition costs nearly $7,500 per year and out-of-state tuition costing $13,000 per year. Housing may be available for those that want to live on-campus for around a cost of $4,600 for the year. Some students at Alabama A&M University may be eligible for financial aid, which is typically provided in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for A&M is the "Bulldogs", and they participate in intercollegiate athletics through the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students who wish to learn more about Alabama A&M University may check out their website at http://www.aamu.edu/.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the students Alabama A&M University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
Total enrollment at Alabama A&M University is around 5,600 students, with undergraduate students making up about 80% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $13,200. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $30 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State Tuition: $7,800-$9,300
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $16,000-$18,650
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $260-$310 per unit
- Out-of-State: $520-$620 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||97%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||94%||$8,245|
|Receiving Student Loans||82%||$7,431|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Alabama A&M University may provide services like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
- Day care for children
The overall graduation rate of Alabama A&M University is approximately 29%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||13%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||6%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- * Accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (since 1994)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1973)
Alabama A&M University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (University Athletic Association)
- Football (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Alabama A&M University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Alabama A&M University.
- University of Alabama in Huntsville in Huntsville, AL (6 miles away)
- Athens State University in Athens, AL (22 miles away)
- University of North Alabama in Florence, AL (63 miles away)
- The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in Chattanooga, TN (74 miles away)
- Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, AL (81 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: