Central Washington University provides a variety of program options for students to aid them in their growth and development. The school is located in Ellensburg, WA and publically funded. CWU has a yearly student enrollment of about 12,000.
Areas of study available at CWU include:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
- Social Sciences
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
The admissions process starts with the submission of an application, school records, and standardized test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions committee. A SAT or ACT exam may be required prior to applying, with scores in a range of 1320 - 1650 for the SAT exam and within the range of 18 - 24 on the ACT is common among students accepted to Central Washington University. Central Washington University accepts about 80% of applicants yearly. Of those students accepted, around 39% enrolled. More information regarding admissions can be found at cwu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition varies for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay around $8,800 and nonresidents pay $21,000 annually. Student housing is available on-campus for students. The annual cost of housing is estimated to be $4,400. Some students at CWU may qualify for financial aid, which is generally provided as grants or student loans.
The mascot for CWU is the "Wildcats", and they participate in intercollegiate athletics through the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered may include the following:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give an overview of the students CWU accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Central Washington University has a total student population of about 12,000, where graduate students make up roughly 14% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $15,200. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $50 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $6,900-$8,300
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $20,000-$23,650
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $230-$280 per unit
- Out-of-State: $660-$790 per unit
- The estimated cost for room and board is around $12,000
- May provide a prepaid tuition option, which allows tuition to be purchased at current rates for enrollment at a future date
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||85%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||79%||$7,066|
|Receiving Student Loans||59%||$6,312|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Central Washington University may provide services including:
- Distance learning
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
- Day care
Central Washington University has an overall graduation rate which is around 51%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||43%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||7%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||1%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dietetics Program
- * Accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (since 1980)
- Music Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1967)
Central Washington University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Great Northwest Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Great Northwest Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Great Northwest Athletic Conference)
- Football (Great Northwest Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Central Washington University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Personal and Culinary Services
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Transportation and Materials Moving
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Central Washington University.
- University of Washington - Tacoma Campus in Tacoma, WA (91 miles away)
- University of Washington - Bothell Campus in Bothell, WA (93 miles away)
- The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA (115 miles away)
- Eastern Washington University in Cheney, WA (143 miles away)
- Portland State University in Portland, OR (145 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: