Cheyney University of Pennsylvania is a public historically black institution located in Cheyney, Pennsylvania. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Approximately 1,600 students enroll at Cheyney University of Pennsylvania annually.
Students may choose from a few areas of study, including:
- Social Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
The school maintains an open enrollment policy, admitting any students that meet the requirements for admission. Submission of transcripts, records, test scores, and personal statements may be needed for certain programs. More information regarding admissions can be found at cheyney.edu.
The tuition at this school varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay close to $9,200 per year, while out-of-state residents are charged $20,000 for the year. Housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is about $5,500. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the necessary requirements by way of grants or student loans.
The Cheyney University of Pennsylvania Wolves participate in several intercollegiate athletic programs, with competitions managed and overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs that are available may include:
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
Students who would like to learn more about Cheyney University of Pennsylvania can check out their website at http://www.cheyney.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the applicants Cheyney University of Pennsylvania accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Cheyney University of Pennsylvania is around 710 students. The student body is made up of 96% undergraduate students and 14% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $15,100. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $25 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- In-State Tuition: $7,100-$8,500
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $12,000-$13,980
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $290-$350 per unit
- Out-of-State: $490-$580 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||97%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||92%||$12,035|
|Receiving Student Loans||72%||$7,276|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania may provide student services including:
- Online course work available
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Assisting students to find work
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania has an overall graduation rate which is around 25%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||9%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1960)
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference)
- Football (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Cheyney University of Pennsylvania by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Cheyney University of Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania State University - Brandywine in Media, PA (5 miles away)
- Rutgers University - Camden in Camden, NJ (22 miles away)
- Kutztown University of Pennsylvania in Kutztown, PA (42 miles away)
- Millersville University of Pennsylvania in Millersville, PA (45 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Lehigh Valley in Center Valley, PA (46 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: