East Tennessee State University is a public institution that has a large selection of degrees available for students to choose from. The school is located in Johnson City, Tennessee, in a predominantly urban area. ETSU has an annual student enrollment of over 15,000.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs ETSU offers:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
To be considered for admissions, students may be required to fill out an application, provide letters of recommendations, and submit school transcripts, which are then studied by the admissions staff. Very common standardized test scores among applicants accepted to ETSU are within the range of 19 - 24 on the ACT, or 860 - 1090 for the SAT exam. Roughly 90 percent of all students that applied were accepted at ETSU, with 48 percent of those admitted choosing to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay approximately $6,900, while out-of-state residents pay $22,000 annually. The price of on-campus housing is estimated to be $4,000 annually. Students enrolled at this school may be eligible for aid which is generally scholarships, grants, and loans.
The East Tennessee State University Buccaneers participate in several athletic programs, overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AAA)
Students who wish to view more about ETSU can take a look at their website at http://www.etsu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the candidates ETSU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
East Tennessee State University has a total student population of about 14,000. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 14% enrolling as graduate students and 79% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $14,600. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $25 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $6,500-$7,800
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $23,000-$27,990
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $270-$330 per unit
- Out-of-State: $970-$1,200 per unit
- May provide a prepaid tuition option, which allows tuition to be purchased at current rates for enrollment at a future date
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||89%||$7,564|
|Receiving Student Loans||49%||$5,894|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, East Tennessee State University may offer student services including:
- Online classes
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
- Day care
The overall graduation rate of ETSU is close to 41%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||17%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||17%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Dental Hygienist Program
- Dietetics Program
- Medical (M.D.) Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- Master's in Public Health (M.P.H.) Program
- Radiology Technician Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
ETSU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AAA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southern Conference)
- Basketball (Southern Conference)
- Track and Field (Southern Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by East Tennessee State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to East Tennessee State University.
- Appalachian State University in Boone, NC (39 miles away)
- The University of Virginia's College at Wise in Wise, VA (47 miles away)
- University of North Carolina at Asheville in Asheville, NC (49 miles away)
- Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC (85 miles away)
- Bluefield State College in Bluefield, WV (91 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: