Eastern Illinois University provides a variety of program options for students to assist them in their growth and development. The school is located in Charleston, IL and publically funded. Approximately twelve thousand students are enrolled yearly at Eastern Illinois University.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Communications And Journalism
- Recreation And Fitness Studies
The admissions process begins with the submission of an application, transcripts, and standardized test scores, which are then reviewed by admissions officials. Most students accepted to EIU score in a range of 19 to 23 on the ACT exam. EIU has an admissions rate of about 68 percent of which only 29 percent chose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found at eiu.edu.
Tuition & fees at Eastern Illinois University vary for in-state and nonresidents. In-state tuition costs approximately $11,000 per year with out-of-state tuition costing $28,000 annually. Some students at this school may qualify for financial aid, which is typically offered in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The EIU "Panthers" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Athletic programs available:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students may visit the Eastern Illinois University website to get a complete list of areas of study, programs, financial aid details, and more.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the students Eastern Illinois University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Eastern Illinois University is about 8,500. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 13% enrolling as graduate students and 85% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $15,500. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $30 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $8,500-$10,000
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $17,000-$20,020
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $280-$340 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $570-$690 per credit unit
- The estimated cost for room and board is around $11,000, which includes fifteen meals provided each week
- Some programs may have a frozen tuition rate, which means the tuition will stay the same for up to five years.
- May provide a prepaid tuition option, which allows tuition to be purchased at current rates for enrollment at a future date
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||94%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||93%||$7,605|
|Receiving Student Loans||73%||$7,005|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Eastern Illinois University may offer services to students including:
- Online classes
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
The overall graduation rate of Eastern Illinois University is around 60%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||34%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||22%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- Theatre Program
Eastern Illinois University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Basketball (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Track and Field (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Football (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
- Other Sports
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Eastern Illinois University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Eastern Illinois University.
- Indiana State University in Terre Haute, IN (41 miles away)
- University of Illinois at Springfield in Springfield, IL (79 miles away)
- Illinois State University in Normal, IL (84 miles away)
- University of Southern Indiana in Evansville, IN (108 miles away)
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville in Edwardsville, IL (109 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: