Fairmont State is a public institution located in Fairmont, West Virginia and provides a large number of educational opportunities for students. Enrollment at Fairmont State is nearly four thousand yearly.
Students may select from many areas of study, including but not limited to:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Security And Protective Services
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
Students applying for admission are generally required to submit an application, school records, test scores and any requested personal statements, which will then be reviewed by the school. The most common exam scores among students admitted to Fairmont State University are within the range of 18 - 23 on the ACT, or 820 - 1030 for the SAT exam. This school has an admissions rate of about 57 percent of which only 41 percent chose to enroll.
The cost of tuition varies for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay around $5,900, while out-of-state residents pay $12,000 for the year. Student housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is about $3,800. Some students at this school may be eligible for financial aid, which is typically provided as grants or student loans.
The Fairmont State University "Falcons" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
Contact information, admission forms, areas of study offered, and much more can be accessed on school's website at http://www.fairmontstate.edu/.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the students Fairmont State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Fairmont State University is about 4,000. The student body is made up of 94% undergraduate students and 20% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $8,900. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $6,600-$7,900
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $14,000-$16,760
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $270-$320 per unit
- Out-of-State: $570-$690 per unit
- May provide a prepaid tuition option, which allows tuition to be purchased at current rates for enrollment at a future date
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||94%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||81%||$6,459|
|Receiving Student Loans||65%||$5,782|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Fairmont State University may offer student services including:
- Distance learning
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
Fairmont State has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 35%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Fairmont State is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (370)
- Basketball (370)
- Football (370)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Fairmont State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Fairmont State University.
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Fayette - Eberly Campus in Lemont Furnace, PA (34 miles away)
- West Liberty University in West Liberty, WV (55 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Greater Allegheny in McKeesport, PA (62 miles away)
- Frostburg State University in Frostburg, MD (66 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State New Kensington in New Kensington, PA (78 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: