Florida Gulf Coast University is a public institution located in Fort Myers, FL and provides a large number of educational opportunities for students. Enrollment at FGCU is nearly 12,000 per year.
Areas of study available at Florida Gulf Coast University include but are not limited to:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Communications And Journalism
- Business And Marketing Studies
To be considered for admissions, students may be required to complete an application, write a personal statement, and submit high school records and test scores, which are then evaluated by admissions staff. Very common scores among applicants admitted to FGCU are within the range of 20 - 23 for the ACT exam, or 1390 - 1640 on the SAT. 58% of those students that apply are accepted to this school, of which 48% choose to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found at fgcu.edu.
Tuition & fees at this school vary for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state tuition costs nearly $6,100 per year and out-of-state tuition costing $25,000 annually. Student housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is around $5,200. Students enrolled at Florida Gulf Coast University may qualify for aid which is generally loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for Florida Gulf Coast University is the "Eagles", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through the oversight and organization of the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Soccer (NCAA Division I-AAA)
Students should take a look at the school's www.fgcu.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may provide a better idea of the students Florida Gulf Coast University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Florida Gulf Coast University is about 15,000, with undergraduate students making up about 93% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $13,800. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $30 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $4,200-$5,000
- Out-of-State: $22,000-$26,790
- Charges for part-time students are:
- State Residents: $200-$240 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $840-$1,000 per credit unit
- May offer prepaid tuition, allowing students to purchase tuition at current rates for future years.
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||71%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||55%||$4,091|
|Receiving Student Loans||43%||$7,567|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Florida Gulf Coast University may provide student services like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care
Florida Gulf Coast University has an overall graduation rate which is around 44%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||22%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||6%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Florida Gulf Coast University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AAA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Atlantic Sun Conference)
- Basketball (Atlantic Sun Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Florida Gulf Coast University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Florida Gulf Coast University.
- University of South Florida Sarasota - Manatee in Sarasota, FL (71 miles away)
- University of South Florida - St. Petersburg Campus in St. Petersburg, FL (94 miles away)
- University of South Florida in Tampa, FL (107 miles away)
- Florida International University in Miami, FL (108 miles away)
- Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, FL (109 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: