Georgia Southwestern State University provides a variety of program options for students to assist them in their growth and development. The school is located in Americus, GA and publically funded. Enrollment at GSW exceeds three thousand annually.
Areas of study available at Georgia Southwestern State University include:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- English Language And Literature
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
The admissions process will begin with the submission of an application, student records, and test scores, which are then evaluated by admissions officials. Most students accepted to GSW earn an SAT score within the range of 890 to 1060, or an ACT score in a range of 17 to 20. Georgia Southwestern State University accepts around 70% of applicants yearly. Of those students admitted, about 48% attended the school. More information on admissions can be found here.
The tuition at this school varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay close to $5,000 per year and out-of-state residents are charged $15,000 annually. Student housing is available for students and costs approximately $3,800 per year. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the necessary requirements in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The Georgia Southwestern State University Hurricanes participate in several athletic programs, as part of the NCAA organization. Athletic programs offered include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
To see a full list of programs offered, enrollment information, admissions information, and more, please take a look at the school's website at gsw.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the students Georgia Southwestern State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Georgia Southwestern State University is about 2,800, with undergraduate students making up about 88% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $12,100. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $25 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $3,900-$4,700
- Out-of-State: $14,000-$16,970
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $160-$190 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $590-$710 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||93%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||85%||$6,569|
|Receiving Student Loans||64%||$5,710|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Georgia Southwestern State University may provide student services like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Employment search assistance
The overall graduation rate of GSW, Georgia Southwestern is close to 36%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1984)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1971)
Georgia Southwestern State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Peach Belt Conference)
- Basketball (Peach Belt Conference)
- Track and Field (Peach Belt Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Georgia Southwestern State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Georgia Southwestern State University.
- Albany State University in Albany, GA (34 miles away)
- Fort Valley State University in Fort Valley, GA (36 miles away)
- Columbus State University in Columbus, GA (57 miles away)
- Gordon College in Barnesville, GA (69 miles away)
- Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville, GA (88 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: