Jackson State University is a public historically black institution located in Jackson, MS. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Enrollment at JSU exceeds 8,700 annually.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs JSU offers:
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
Students applying for admission are asked to submit an application, transcripts, test scores and any requested application essays, which will then be reviewed by admissions officials. The majority of students at JSU scored in a range of 17 - 20 on the ACT exam. Roughly 30% of all applicant were admitted at this school, with 32% of those admitted choosing to attend. More information on admissions can be found at oim.jsums.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is close to $6,100, but may change per year. Students are encouraged to use the school's tuition calculator to better estimate their personal tuition costs. Housing is available for students, which costs about $4,400 annually. Students attending JSU may be eligible for aid which is usually loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The Jackson State University Tigers participate in a number of intercollegiate athletic programs, as part of the NCAA organization. Available sports offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students who would like to learn more about JSU can visit their website at http://www.jsums.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the students Jackson State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Jackson State University is around 9,800 students, where graduate students make up roughly 13% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $12,800. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $6,900-$8,200 for both state residents and nonresidents
- Charges for part-time students are:
- State Residents: $290-$340 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $700-$840 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||94%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||93%||$10,930|
|Receiving Student Loans||74%||$7,162|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Jackson State University may provide student services like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care
Jackson State University has an overall graduation rate which is around 39%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||17%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Music Program
- Graduate Level Public Health (Outside School of Public Health) Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Jackson State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Football (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Jackson State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Jackson State University.
- Alcorn State University in Alcorn State, MS (62 miles away)
- Mississippi Valley State University in Itta Bena, MS (85 miles away)
- University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS (86 miles away)
- Delta State University in Cleveland, MS (110 miles away)
- University of Louisiana at Monroe in Monroe, LA (110 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: