Lamar University, a public institution, offers an assortment of degree programs, allowing students to choose which major is right for them. Located in Beaumont, TX, the campus resides in an urban setting for students to study in. About fourteen thousand students enroll at Lamar University annually.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Lamar University offers:
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Health And Clinical Professions
To be considered for admissions, you may be asked to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit test scores or other school records, which are then reviewed by admissions staff. A SAT or ACT exam is required prior to applying, with scores in a range of 1250 to 1580 on the SAT and between 17 to 23 on the ACT is common among students admitted to this school. Approximately 50 percent of all applicant were admitted at this school, with 53 percent of those admitted choosing to enroll. More information on admissions can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition varies for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay nearly $8,900 and nonresidents pay $19,000 per year. Housing is available for students, and generally costs about $5,400 each year. Students at Lamar University may be eligible for aid which is typically loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The Lamar University Cardinals participate in several intercollegiate athletic programs, with competitions managed and overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs that are available include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students may visit the website to get a complete list of areas of study, student services, and more.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the applicants Lamar University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Lamar University is about 15,000, with undergraduate students making up about 62% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $12,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $25 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State: $5,500-$6,600
- Out-of-State: $15,000-$17,860
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $230-$280 per unit
- Out-of-State: $620-$740 per unit
- Some programs may have tuition rates that will remain the same as the first year for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||77%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||77%||$5,832|
|Receiving Student Loans||50%||$6,273|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Lamar University may offer services like:
- Distance learning
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Helping students find work after graduation
The overall graduation rate of Lamar University is approximately 35%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||13%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Clinical Audiology (Au.D.) Program
- Dietetics Program
- English Language Program
- Music Program
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Lamar University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southland Conference)
- Basketball (Southland Conference)
- Track and Field (Southland Conference)
- Football (Southland Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Lamar University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Lamar University.
- McNeese State University in Lake Charles, LA (56 miles away)
- University of Houston - Clear Lake in Houston, TX (65 miles away)
- University of Houston - Downtown in Houston, TX (76 miles away)
- Texas Southern University in Houston, TX (77 miles away)
- University of Houston in Houston, TX (79 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: