Pittsburg State University is a public university that has a large selection of majors and degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Pittsburg, Kansas, in a predominantly rural area. Approximately 7,100 students are enrolled yearly at Pitt State.
Students can choose from several areas of study, including but not limited to:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Communications And Journalism
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
Students applying for admission are usually asked to submit an application, transcripts, test scores and any requested personal statements, which will then be reviewed by the school. Most students accepted to Pitt State score in a range of 19 to 24 on the ACT exam. 77% of those students that apply are accepted to Pittsburg State University, of which 52% choose to attend. More information on admissions can be found here.
The tuition at Pittsburg State University varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay close to $5,700 per year and out-of-state residents are charged $16,000 annually. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the necessary requirements.
The Pittsburg State University "Gorillas" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
Contact information, academics information, areas of study offered, and much more may be accessed on school's website at http://www.pittstate.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the students Pitt State accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Pittsburg State University has a total student population of about 7,200, with undergraduate students making up about 84% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $12,500. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $30 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- In-State Tuition: $5,100-$6,100
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $16,000-$18,700
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $230-$280 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $580-$690 per credit unit
- on campus dorms & meals are estimated to cost around $8,800, the amount includes the serving of twenty-one meals per week
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||91%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||74%||$4,172|
|Receiving Student Loans||61%||$6,072|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Pittsburg State University may provide student services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assisting students to find work
Pitt State has an overall graduation rate which is around 50%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||23%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- English Language Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Pittsburg State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Basketball (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Track and Field (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
- Football (Mid-America Intercollegiate Ath Assoc)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Pittsburg State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Pittsburg State University.
- Missouri Southern State University in Joplin, MO (24 miles away)
- Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, OK (103 miles away)
- University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, MO (107 miles away)
- Emporia State University in Emporia, KS (107 miles away)
- Washburn University in Topeka, KS (126 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: