Savannah State University is a public historically black institution located in Savannah, Georgia. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Approximately 4,100 students are enrolled annually at Savannah State University.
Areas of study available at Savannah State University include:
- Communications And Journalism
- Security And Protective Services
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Business And Marketing Studies
The school has an open enrollment policy, accepting all students that meet the requirements for admission. Submission of transcripts, records, test scores, and admissions essays may be requested for certain programs. More information on admissions can be found here.
The tuition at SSU varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay around $6,500 per year and out-of-state residents are charged $19,000 per year. On-campus housing is available for students, and generally costs around $3,300 each year. Some students at SSU may qualify for financial aid, which is generally provided as grants or student loans.
The Savannah State University Tigers participate in several intercollegiate athletic programs, overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students who wish to learn more about this school may visit their website at http://www.savannahstate.edu/.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may provide a better idea of the students Savannah State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Savannah State University is about 4,800. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 25% enrolling as graduate students and 97% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,300. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $3,900-$4,700
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $14,000-$16,970
- Charges for part-time students are:
- State Residents: $160-$190 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $590-$710 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||97%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||86%||$6,525|
|Receiving Student Loans||87%||$7,461|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Savannah State University may provide services like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Assisting students to find work
Savannah State University has an overall graduation rate which is around 29%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||6%|
Savannah State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Football (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Savannah State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Savannah State University.
- University of South Carolina - Beaufort in Bluffton, SC (22 miles away)
- Fort Valley State University in Fort Valley, GA (170 miles away)
- Georgia Southwestern State University in Americus, GA (180 miles away)
- Albany State University in Albany, GA (184 miles away)
- Gordon College in Barnesville, GA (194 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: