SSU is a liberal arts college that offers an undergraduate education and assists students in developing important skills useful in pursuit of graduate education or employment. A liberal arts curriculum exposes students to a variety of topics and subjects. The school is located in Portsmouth, OH, which is a predominantly rural area. Approximately 4,600 students are enrolled annually at SSU.
Students may select from several areas of study, including but not limited to:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Visual And Performing Arts
The school maintains an open enrollment policy, accepting all students that meet the requirements for admission. Submission of school records, test scores, and personal statements may be requested for certain programs. More information on admissions can be found at shawnee.edu.
Tuition & fees at SSU are different for in-state and nonresidents. In-state tuition costs around $7,400 per year and out-of-state tuition costing $13,000 per year. The cost of on-campus housing is around $6,000 for the year. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the necessary requirements in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The SSU "Bears" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NAIA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Baseball (NAIA Division II)
- Basketball (NAIA Division II)
- Golf (NAIA Division II)
For a complete list of programs offered, enrollment information, financial aid details, and more, please take a look at the school's website at http://www.shawnee.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may provide a better idea of the candidates Shawnee State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Shawnee State University has a total student population of about 3,900, with undergraduate students making up about 96% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $13,900. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State Tuition: $6,300-$7,500
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $12,000-$13,980
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $260-$310 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $490-$580 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||93%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||81%||$4,974|
|Receiving Student Loans||72%||$5,930|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Shawnee State University may provide services to students including:
- Online classes
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
- Day care for children
The overall graduation rate of Shawnee State University is around 27%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||6%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||1%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Hygienist Program
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program
- Radiology Technician Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Shawnee State University is a Member of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), with many of the sports being in the NAIA Division II classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Mid-South Conference)
- Basketball (Mid-South Conference)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Shawnee State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Shawnee State University.
- Ohio University - Southern Campus in Ironton, OH (23 miles away)
- Ohio University - Chillicothe Campus in Chillicothe, OH (42 miles away)
- West Virginia State University in Institute, WV (72 miles away)
- Central State University in Wilberforce, OH (83 miles away)
- Ohio State University - Newark Campus in Newark, OH (97 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: