South Dakota State University provides a variety of degree programs for students to guide them in their growth and development. The school is located in Brookings, SD and publically funded. As a land grant institution this school is one of the larger public institutions in the state of South Dakota. Approximately thirteen thousand students are enrolled annually at SDSU.
Areas of study available at SDSU include:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Agriculture Operations
- Family And Consumer Sciences
Students applying for admission are most often required to submit an application, school records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions staff. Most students admitted to South Dakota State University score in a range of 19 to 25 on the ACT exam. SDSU has an admissions rate of about 92 percent of which only 52 percent decided to attend. More information on admissions can be found here.
The cost of tuition is different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay nearly $7,600, while nonresidents pay $9,500 per year. Housing may be available for students who wish to live on-campus for a cost of $3,000 annually. Students enrolled at SDSU may qualify for aid which is generally loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The South Dakota State University Jackrabbits participate in a number of athletic programs, within the NCAA. Athletic programs offered include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students can take a look at the school's http://www.sdstate.edu/ to see additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give an overview of the students South Dakota State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at South Dakota State University is around 13,000 students, where graduate students make up roughly 18% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $20,900. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- State Residents: $4,300-$5,200
- Out-of-State: $6,500-$7,814
- Charges for part-time students are:
- State Residents: $270-$330 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $370-$440 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||92%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||68%||$4,069|
|Receiving Student Loans||69%||$7,664|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, South Dakota State University may offer student services like:
- Online course work available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assisting students to find work
South Dakota State University has an overall graduation rate which is close to 56%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||26%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||24%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: South Dakota State University
- Dietetics Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
Campus: South Dakota State University - University Center, Sioux Falls
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program
- * Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (since 1939)
South Dakota State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (The Summit League)
- Basketball (The Summit League)
- Track and Field (The Summit League)
- Football (Missouri Valley Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by South Dakota State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Transportation and Materials Moving
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to South Dakota State University.
- Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall, MN (51 miles away)
- University of Minnesota - Morris in Morris, MN (100 miles away)
- University of South Dakota in Vermillion, SD (107 miles away)
- Northern State University in Aberdeen, SD (114 miles away)
- Minnesota State University - Mankato in Mankato, MN (138 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: