Stephen F Austin State University is a public university that has a large number of degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Nacogdoches, Texas, in a predominantly rural area. SFASU has a yearly student enrollment of over 13,000.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Recreation And Fitness Studies
- Business And Marketing Studies
Students applying for admission are asked to submit an application, transcripts, standardized test scores and any requested personal statements, which will then be reviewed by the school. Either the SAT or ACT exam must be taken in order to be able to apply to this school. Scores within the range of 18 to 23 on the ACT or 1270 to 1580 on the SAT are needed to greatly increase your chances for getting accepted. 63% of those students that apply are accepted to Stephen F Austin State University, of which 37 percent choose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found at sfasu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition varies for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay around $6,600, while out-of-state residents pay $15,000 per year. Some students at SFASU may be eligible for financial aid, which is generally offered as scholarships, grants, and loans.
Athletic programs are available at SFASU through the NCAA, allowing students to compete in intercollegiate athletics. Available athletic programs offered may include the following:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students should visit the SFASU website to obtain a complete list of programs offered, student services, and more.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the applicants Stephen F Austin State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Stephen F Austin State University is around 13,000 students, where graduate students make up roughly 18% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $14,300. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $45 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State: $5,700-$6,800
- Out-of-State: $15,000-$18,010
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $300-$360 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $690-$820 per credit unit
- The average estimated cost for room and board is listed to be around $11,000
- Some programs may have a frozen tuition rate, which means the tuition will stay the same for up to five years.
- May offer prepaid tuition, allowing students to purchase tuition at current rates for future years.
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||84%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||66%||$8,960|
|Receiving Student Loans||59%||$6,848|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Stephen F Austin State University may offer services like:
- Online course work available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Assistance to find work
Stephen F Austin State University has an overall graduation rate which is around 43%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||23%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Dietetics Program
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- Theatre Program
Stephen F Austin State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southland Conference)
- Basketball (Southland Conference)
- Track and Field (Southland Conference)
- Football (Southland Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Stephen F Austin State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Stephen F Austin State University.
- The University of Texas at Tyler in Tyler, TX (59 miles away)
- Louisiana State University - Shreveport in Shreveport, LA (79 miles away)
- Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX (82 miles away)
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana in Natchitoches, LA (92 miles away)
- Lamar University in Beaumont, TX (119 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: