WVSU is a public historically black institution located in Institute, WV. Many historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. As a land grant institution this school is among larger public institutions in the state of West Virginia. Enrollment at West Virginia State University is nearly 3,200 per year.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs West Virginia State University offers:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Communications And Journalism
- Health And Clinical Professions
Students applying for admission are generally asked to submit an application, transcripts, records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions staff. The majority of students admitted to this school earn an SAT score in a range of 755 to 950, or an ACT score between 17 to 22. More information on admissions can be found at wvstateu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is close to $5,400, but may change from year to year. Students are encouraged to use the school's price of attendance calculator to better estimate their personal tuition costs. Housing is available on-campus for students. The annual cost of housing is about $3,400. Students enrolled at this school may qualify for aid which is typically loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The West Virginia State University "Yellow Jackets" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Available sports offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
- Softball (NCAA Division II)
Contact information, tuition information, areas of study offered, and much more can be accessed on school's website at http://www.wvstateu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the candidates WVSU accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
West Virginia State University has a total student population of about 3,200, where graduate students make up roughly 12% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $7,700. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State: $6,700-$8,000
- Out-of-State: $16,000-$18,690
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $270-$330 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $640-$770 per credit unit
- May offer prepaid tuition, allowing students to purchase tuition at current rates for future years.
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||94%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||94%||$7,732|
|Receiving Student Loans||63%||$6,875|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, West Virginia State University may offer services like:
- Online classes
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
- Day care for children
The overall graduation rate of West Virginia State University is approximately 19%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||4%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1962)
West Virginia State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Basketball (West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Football (West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Track and Field, Outdoor
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by West Virginia State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to West Virginia State University.
- West Virginia University Institute of Technology in Montgomery, WV (25 miles away)
- Glenville State College in Glenville, WV (63 miles away)
- Concord University in Athens, WV (77 miles away)
- The University of Virginia's College at Wise in Wise, VA (106 miles away)
- Fairmont State University in Fairmont, WV (115 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Visit the main West Virginia colleges & universities profile page
- Get a list of all state universities in West Virginia