Youngstown State University provides a variety of degree programs for students to aid them in their growth and development. The school is located in Youngstown, Ohio and publically funded. Youngstown State University has a yearly student enrollment of nearly 15,000.
Areas of study offered at YSU include but are not limited to:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Security And Protective Services
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
The school operates under an open enrollment policy, accepting any applicants that meet the basic requirements for admission. Submission of transcripts, test scores, and admissions essays may be requested for certain programs. More information regarding admissions can be found at web.ysu.edu.
Tuition & fees at this school are different for in-state and nonresidents. In-state tuition costs approximately $8,200 per year and out-of-state tuition costing $8,400 per year. Some students at Youngstown State University may be eligible for financial aid, which is typically offered as grants or student loans.
The Youngstown State University "Penguins" compete in a number of intercollegiate sports through participation in the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
For a complete list of academic programs offered, enrollment information, admissions information, and more, please visit the school's website at http://web.ysu.edu/home.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the candidates Youngstown State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Youngstown State University has a total student population of about 12,000. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 16% enrolling as graduate students and 89% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $11,100. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $45 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $7,800-$9,400
- Out-of-State: $8,100-$9,704
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $340-$400 per unit
- Out-of-State: $350-$420 per unit
- The average estimated cost for on campus dorms & meals is listed to be around $11,000, the cost includes twelve meals per week
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||75%||$7,254|
|Receiving Student Loans||64%||$5,885|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Youngstown State University may offer student services like:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Work study style employment
- Assisting students to find work
- Day care for children
The overall graduation rate of Youngstown State University is close to 33%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||8%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Dental Hygienist Program
- Dietetics Program
- Coordinated Dietetics Program
- Dietetic Technician Program
- Music Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- Theatre Program
Youngstown State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Horizon League)
- Basketball (Horizon League)
- Track and Field (Horizon League)
- Football (Missouri Valley Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Youngstown State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Youngstown State University.
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Shenango in Sharon, PA (11 miles away)
- Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania in Slippery Rock, PA (31 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Beaver in Monaca, PA (35 miles away)
- Kent State University - Kent Campus in Kent, OH (37 miles away)
- University of Akron in Akron, OH (45 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: