Kaplan University provides the flexibility and convenience of online education with the added support of on-site locations. Students at Kaplan University take more than 50 percent of their program courses online. The University offers career-focused programs that can be completed easily through flexible schedules that allow students to balance learning with the responsibilities of home and work.
Dedicated to providing innovative education at the undergraduate, graduate and continuing professional levels, Kaplan University's mission is to prepare graduates to launch, enhance or change careers in a diverse global society. It is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Kaplan University was originally established in 1937 as the American Institute of Commerce. It was later renamed Davenport's Quest College, and in 2000 was renamed Kaplan College with the establishment of a support center in Boca Raton, Florida. In 2004 Kaplan College became Kaplan University, with approval to offer graduate degree programs.
Kaplan University offers flexible and customized learning through more than 125 degrees and programs with personalized support through the Academic Advisors and Mentor programs. Courses are taught by professors with real world experience, which helps students better prepare for the job market in their chosen field.
The university offers online master's, bachelor's, associates and professional law degrees, in addition to online certificate programs. Kaplan University's campus-based schools offer either online or on-site bachelor's and associate's degrees, as well as diplomas and certificates.
Kaplan University's areas of study include:
- Arts and Sciences
- Business and Management
- Criminal Justice
- Fire Science and Emergency Management
- Teacher Education
- Higher Education and Adult Learning
- Health Sciences
- Information Systems and Technology
- Legal or Paralegal Studies
- Political Science, Public or Environmental Policy
Kaplan's For-Credit Certificate Programs include:
- Business and Accounting Certificates
- Criminal Justice, Security, Corrections Certificates
- Entrepreneurship Certificates
- Information Technology Certificates
- Paralegal and Legal Secretary Certificates
Kaplan's Continuing Education Certificate Programs include:
- Business and Finance Certificates
- Health Care Certificates
- Information Technology Certificates
Colleges / Schools
Kaplan University offers both campus-based programs and online courses. Kaplan's on-site Learning Centers provide additional support to its online learners. Students can visit one of Kaplan's on-site Learning Centers to access the following services:
- Meet in person with Admissions Advisors, Academic Advisors, or Financial Aid Officers
- Review unofficial transcripts during the interview to determine classroom options
- Flexible scheduling for on-site instruction
- Math and writing labs
- Online and on-site tutoring
- Meet other classmates even when enrolled in online courses
- Easy access to 24/7 tech support
- In-person support for online students
* Not all resources may be available at all locations
Kaplan University was created with an aim to customizing its learning programs to adapt to each student's life and learning style. Its programs and mission of flexible education allows you to adapt your education to your needs and to schedule it around your other life commitments.
Kaplan University has its headquarters in Chicago and 12 campuses or on-site Learning Centers in the Unites States. It has campuses in Iowa (main campus in Davenport), Nebraska, Maryland and Maine. Kaplan has Learning Centers in Florida (Delray Beach, Plantation), Indiana (Indianapolis), Missouri (St. Louis), and Wisconsin (Milwaukee).
Kaplan University provides a virtual community that encourages students to seek guidance from fellow classmates and advisors via the online forum. The online community is comprised of more than 30 honors societies, professional clubs and student associations. Additionally, Kaplan's on-site Learning Centers provide in-person support, as well as opportunities to meet other online classmates face-to-face.
Kaplan University participates in community outreach and has partnerships with United Way, The Urban League of Broward County, and the Children's Home Society in Broward and Palm Beach County. In addition, University staff and faculty volunteer their time and resources to various organizations that include Habitat for Humanity, Toys for Tots and Operation Troop Appreciation, among others.
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
*The posted costs for tuition, fees and supplies are determined through historical data and may not represent current costs.
**Repayment rates, earnings, and loan payments are estimated to provide a comparative context. For more detailed information individuals are asked to contact the school.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The cost of attendance is approximately $21,700 per year, after the grants, scholarships and other forms of aid are calculated. To calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The cost to submit an application is $45. The financial aid department provides information and resources for students seeking out financial options. Their phone number is (563) 355-3500. Any tuition and financial aid figures listed provide an outline of costs at this school, however they may not accurately represent current costs, fees, or tuition. Please check with Kaplan University for more information.
Note: Financial aid is only available for those who qualify, check with the school for details.
Tuition & Fees Information
Undergraduate Courses - Tuition Details
- The estimated tuition range is around $13,000-$16,000 per year
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $370 to $450 per credit hour
- Required fees for full-time students: $630
Graduate Courses - Tuition Details
- Tuition is estimated to be around $10,000 per year for graduate students
- Per unit charges are around $420 for part time students
- Required fees for graduate students are around $630
- Annual tuition estimates for specific graduate schools:
- Law School: $10,000 (See all Law Schools in Iowa)
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||71%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||61%||$4,412|
|Receiving Student Loans||66%||$8,147|
Other Career Colleges
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Kaplan University.
- Hamilton Technical College in Davenport, IA (1 miles away)
- Brown Mackie College - Quad Cities in Bettendorf, IA (7 miles away)
- Kaplan University - Cedar Rapids Campus in Cedar Rapids, IA (66 miles away)
- Midstate College in Peoria, IL (74 miles away)
- Rasmussen College - Rockford in Rockford, IL (89 miles away)