Get more information about Des Moines Area Community College by clicking links below:
Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) is a two-year community college in Central Iowa. DMACC offers transfer study programs for students wishing to transfer to a four-year university or college to complete a bachelor's degree. DMACC grants associates degrees and professional certificates in more than 130 programs. Students can receive a professional certificate from the reputable Iowa Culinary Institute or the Electronic Crime Institute.
DMACC offers a PreProfessional Program, to prepare students for advanced studies in medicine, law, engineering, business or education. Online classes are offered through the DMACC Signature Series. There are 8-week evening programs, continuing education programs, high school programs, study abroad programs, and more at DMACC.
DMACC was founded in 1966. It got its official name in 1968,when its first classes were held.
The academic calendar for Des Moines Area Community College follows the semester format, with fall, spring and summer "terms." Each term is broken up into several shorter sessions.
Colleges and Schools
The academic units for DMACC are divided into departments and programs, rather than into colleges or schools. Departments at DMACC range from subject areas such as Architectural Technologies to Welding.
Students at Des Moines Area Community College's Ankeny Campus can choose from several pre-professional and special interest clubs and organizations outside the classroom. Student clubs available at the Ankeny Campus include a range of interests, including Agribusiness, Concert Choir, Environmental Conservation Club, Horticulture, Game Renegades, Veteran's Club, and more.
Student services at DMACC include:
- Academic Achievement Center
- Alumni Association
- Campus Health
- Campus Recreation
- Career Center
- Career & Transfer Resource Center
- Child Care - Ankeny
- Disability Services Office
- Distance Learning Program
- Evening Weekend College
- Food Services
- Financial Aid
- Health Services
- Honor Society - Phi Theta Kappa
- Information Center
- International Student Office
- Student Activities Council - Ankeny
- Study Abroad Program
The school colors for Des Moines Area Community College are blue and white. The DMACC mascot is the bear, and the athletic teams are nicknamed the DMACC "Bears."
The DMACC Athletics Program is located on the college's Boone Campus, near Iowa State University in Ames. The DMACC "Bears" athletic teams compete in the Iowa Community College Athletic Conference and the National Junior College Athletic Association. DMACC sports include:
- Cross Country
- Cross Country
- Dance Team
DMACC has several campuses and learning sites, which include:
- Ankeny Campus (Ankeny, IA)
- Newton Campus (Newton, IA)
- Boone Campus (Boone, IA)
- Urban/Des Moines Campus (Des Moines, IA)
- Carroll Campus (Carroll, IA)
- West Campus (West Des Moines, IA)
- Success Center (Des Moines, IA)
- Transportation Institute (Des Moines, IA)
- Career Academy/Hunziker Center (Ames, IA)
- Harding Hills (Des Moines, IA)
- Iowa Building (Des Moines, IA)
DMACC offers several community partnership programs:
- Distance or cross learning with other schools in Iowa
- Business and industry training programs
- Community education and workforce training
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,500. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $4,000-$4,800
- Out-of-State: $8,000-$9,576
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $130-$160 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $270-$320 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||73%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||55%||$4,126|
|Receiving Student Loans||53%||$4,973|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 29%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Des Moines Area Community College may offer services including:
- Online course work available
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
- Day care for children
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Students who attend a community college will be able to choose from a variety of programs that will lead to an associate's degree or transfer to a four year institution. The following list shows graduation and transfer-out rates for DMACC compared to community colleges in Iowa, which can be useful for determining which community college to attend.
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Funeral Service Education Program
- Accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, Committee on Accreditation (since 2005)
- Dental Assistant Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1966)
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1972)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1987)
- Find all the other nursing programs in Iowa
- Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1967)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Des Moines Area Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Des Moines Area Community College.
- Marshalltown Community College in Marshalltown, IA (41 miles away)
- Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls, IA (59 miles away)
- Southwestern Community College in Creston, IA (60 miles away)
- Iowa Central Community College in Fort Dodge, IA (62 miles away)
- Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa, IA (78 miles away)