Get more information about Northern Virginia Community College by clicking links below:
Commonly referred to as NOVA, the Northern Virginia Community College is the second-largest community college in the country. The main campus alone, located in Annandale, is built over almost 80 acres in addition to 8 other campus sites and educational centers in different localities. NOVA was founded in 1964 as the Northern Virginia Technical College, serving almost 800 students in a single location. At present, there are about 90,000 students enrolled in both credit and non-credit courses across all campuses.
The Annandale campus is home to over 20,000 students enrolled in various courses among the following academic divisions: Math, Science and Engineering; Business and Public Services; Languages and Literature; and Liberal Arts. The campus is also known for offering certificate courses in Human Resource Management and Advanced Forensic Investigation. Programs for skills improvement and organizational learning are handled by the Office of Workforce Development and Continuing Education.
NOVA aims to have its students earn the necessary credits for acceptance into four-year colleges. In line with this goal, the Pathway to the Baccalaureate Program was designed to provide assistance to outstanding high school students in Northern Virginia in transitioning from secondary to higher education. Priority in enrolling at NOVA with financial assistance is granted as well as guidance on seeking placement with other universities. Completion of an associate degree program with a 2.5 GPA guarantees admission to the George Mason University (GMU).
Annandale's Student Services Center also provides special assistance to international students, military service members, and veterans. All students have access to various facilities including the Ernst Community Cultural Center, a facility featuring a theater, art gallery, gymnasium, and several function halls.
Participation in intercollegiate athletic events and other non-academic pursuits is highly encouraged, particularly in basketball, soccer, ice hockey, and volleyball. Tournaments and intramural events are organized by the Student Activities Office, aiming to highlight the importance of recreation and extra-curricular activities in further development of a student's competencies.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $7,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $4,700-$5,700
- Out-of-State: $10,000-$12,150
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $160-$190 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $340-$400 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||47%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||38%||$5,326|
|Receiving Student Loans||18%||$5,101|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and recent graduates, Northern Virginia Community College may offer services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges offer a variety of career and transfer options for students. The following table shows the graduation and transfer-out rates for this school, versus those community colleges in Virginia, which can be valuable information for determining which school to attend.
|Northern Virginia Community College||Fairfax County||Virginia|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Med Education Campus
- Dental Assistant Program
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 2013)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1972)
- See a list of all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in Virginia
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program
- Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 2014)
Campus: Northern Virginia Community College
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1979)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Northern Virginia Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Northern Virginia Community College.
- Montgomery College in Rockville, MD (19 miles away)
- Prince George's Community College in Largo, MD (23 miles away)
- College of Southern Maryland in La Plata, MD (23 miles away)
- Baltimore City Community College in Baltimore, MD (46 miles away)
- Germanna Community College in Locust Grove, VA (47 miles away)