Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC)
179 Ashley Ave, Charleston, SC
- FAFSA School Code: 003438
- Phone: (843) 792-2300
- School Homepage
- Phone: (843) 792-5396
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (843) 792-2536
- Financial Aid Page
The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston is ranked 59th in U.S. News Research School Ranking. It is also ranked 58th in primary care by U.S. News. MUSC is one of the oldest in the country, having been in continual operation since 1824. It is the oldest in the “Deep South.” It currently offers programs in Neuroscience, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Pathology, Surgery and Psychiatry in the College of Medicine.
Originally known as the Medical College of South Carolina, its name was changed to MUSC in 1969 by an act of the state legislature. The same act also established MUSC as the only free standing academic health sciences center in the state, providing a comprehensive range of research, education and clinical service opportunities.
The mission of MUSC is three-pronged: education, research and the provision of health care to the state of South Carolina. The university consists of six colleges that provide health care education to over 2,500 aspiring medical professionals each year. It is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations and has garnered the Gold Seal of Approval.
The College of Nursing, which was founded in 1884 as a two-year training college for nursing professionals, now offers a Bachelor’s, Master’s and two Doctoral programs. It was incorporated into MUSC in 1919.
Average tuition for residents of the State of South Carolina is $34,435, and out-of-state students’ tuition is $61,693. Approximately 92% of all students receive financial aid in some form, with the majority receiving student loans. Average debt at graduation has been calculated at approximately $173,000.
Below is a list of areas of study that may be available for students. Any linked program will direct you to the respective program's profile page which provides general educational requirements and possible career paths.
Learn more about programs available at Medical University of South Carolina by clicking on the request information button.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Medicine (D)
- Nursing (B)
- Pharmacy (D)
- Health Professions and Related Clinical Sciences (B)
- Healthcare Administration (C, D, M)
- Physician Assistant (M)
- Physical Therapy (D)
- Dentistry (D)
- Rehabilitation and Therapeutic Professions (M)
- Nurse Anesthetist (M)
- Cardiovascular Technology (B)
- Nursing Science (D)
- Medical Scientist (M)
- Adult Health Nursing (M)
- Maternal, Child Health and Neonatal Nurse (M)
- Advanced General Dentistry (M)
- Health Services (M)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Note: Financial aid is only available for those who qualify, check with the school for details.
Tuition & Fees Information
Undergraduate Courses - Tuition Details
- Tuition is estimated to be around $16,000 per year
- For part-time students, charges are between $650-$780 per unit
- Required fees for full-time students: $1,200
Graduate Courses - Tuition Details
- The estimated tuition range for graduate students is around $17,000-$21,000 per year
- Part time students are estimated to pay about $740 to $880 per unit
- Required fees for graduate students are around $1,100
- Annual tuition estimates for specific graduate schools:
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||50%||$5,604|
|Student Loans (Federal)||75%||$11,669|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 0.4%.
Other Healthcare or Nursing Schools Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Medical University of South Carolina.
- Mercy School of Nursing in Charlotte, NC (180 miles away)
- Chamberlain College of Nursing - Jacksonville Campus in Jacksonville, FL (193 miles away)
- Watts School of Nursing in Durham, NC (240 miles away)
- Danville Regional Medical Center School of Health Professions in Danville, VA (273 miles away)
- Remington College - Orlando Nursing in Lake Mary, FL (281 miles away)
IPEDS Survey 2008-2011: Data obtained from the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Data may vary depending on school and academic year.