Occidental College (OXY)
1600 Campus Rd, Los Angeles, CA
College Video Tour
- FAFSA School Code: 001249
- Phone: (323) 259-2500
- School Homepage
- Phone: (323) 259-2700
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (323) 259-2548
- Financial Aid Page
OXY is a liberal arts college that offers an undergraduate education and assists students in developing important skills useful in pursuit of graduate education or employment. A liberal arts curriculum exposes students to a variety of topics and subjects. The school is located in Los Angeles, CA, which is a predominately urban area. Enrollment at Occidental College exceeds 2,100 annually.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Social Sciences
- Natural Resources And Conservation
- English Language And Literature
- Visual And Performing Arts
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
The admissions process starts with the submission of an application, transcripts, and standardized test scores, which are then reviewed by admissions staff. Most common scores among applicants admitted to this school are between 27 to 31 on the ACT, or 1810 to 2090 on the SAT. Approximately 40 percent of all applicant were accepted at OXY, with 23 percent of those admitted choosing to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
Undergraduate tuition is approximately $47,000 per year, though it may vary based on any number of circumstances. Students should check the school's net price calculator to see the personalize cost of attendance. Housing may be available for students that want to live on-campus at an estimated cost of $7,500 each year. OXY may offer financial aid for students that qualify in the form of grants and loans.
The OXY Tigers participate in a number of athletic programs, as part of the NCAA organization. Available athletic programs offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
- Football (NCAA Division III)
- Golf (NCAA Division III)
Contact information, admission forms, areas of study, and much more can be accessed on school's website at http://www.oxy.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the applicants OXY accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of accepted students, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better feeling of your chances of getting into OXY.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Recommended
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- Letters of Recommendation are Required
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
SAT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|SAT ® Critical Reading||600 - 700|
|SAT ® Math||610 - 690|
|SAT ® Writing||600 - 700|
|SAT ® Total Score||1210 - 2090|
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||0 - 0|
|ACT ® Math||0 - 0|
|ACT ® Composite Score||27 - 31|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into OXY
The table below lists the chances of getting accepted into OXY.
|Granted Admissions||2,369 (39%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||537 (23%)|
Occidental College has a total student population of about 2,100, where graduate students make up roughly 0.6% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $42,000-$50,000 for both in-state and out-of-state students
- Part time students pay in the range of $1,700 to $2,100 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||78%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||74%||$27,845|
|Receiving Student Loans||56%||$6,188|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 2%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Occidental College may offer services to students like:
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care for children
With a graduation rate of around 83%, OXY is among the most successful schools in the area.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||81%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||3%|
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Occidental College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
- Psychology (B)
- Physiological Psychology, Psychobiology (B)
Natural Resources and Conservation
- Environmental Studies (B)
English Language and Literature
- English Language and Literature, Letters (B)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Art Studies (B)
- Drama (B)
- Music (B)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- History (B)
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (B)
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Spanish Language and Literature (B)
- Foreign Languages and Literatures (B)
- Chinese Language and Literature (B)
- French Language and Literature (B)
- Japanese Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
- Ethnic, Cultural Minority and Gender Studies (B)
- Asian Civilization Studies (B)
- United States Studies (B)
- East Asian Studies (B)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
- Cognitive Science (B)
- Interdisciplinary Studies (B)
Computer and Information Sciences
Other 4-Year Private Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Occidental College.
- California State University - Los Angeles in Los Angeles, CA (5 miles away)
- California State University - Dominguez Hills in Carson, CA (18 miles away)
- California State University - Fullerton in Fullerton, CA (25 miles away)
- California State University - Channel Islands in Camarillo, CA (47 miles away)
- California State University - San Bernardino in San Bernardino, CA (51 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: