Get more information about Xavier University of Louisiana by clicking links below:
Xavier University of Louisiana is a nonprofit private historically black institution located in New Orleans, LA. A majority of historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. The Roman Catholic affiliation of this school is an important part of the history, education and mission that defines the school. Approximately 3,400 students are enrolled per year at XU.
Students may choose from a few areas of study, including:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
The admissions process starts with the submission of an application, transcripts, records, and standardized test scores, which are then evaluated by admissions officials. Most students accepted to this school earn an SAT score between 1270 to 1600, or an ACT score between 19 to 24. 64% of applicants are accepted to this school, of which 27% choose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found at xula.edu.
The cost of tuition is nearly $20,000, but may change yearly. Students are encouraged to use the school's tuition calculator to better estimate their personal tuition costs. Some students at this school may be eligible for financial aid, which is typically offered as grants or student loans.
The XU "Gold Rush" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NAIA. Sports available:
- Basketball (NAIA Division I)
- Track & Field (NAIA Division I)
- Tennis (NAIA Division I)
- Volleyball (NAIA Division I)
For a complete list of areas of study, programs, enrollment information, student services, and more, please visit the school's website at http://www.xula.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give an overview of the candidates Xavier University of Louisiana accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Xavier University of Louisiana is around 3,400 students, with undergraduate students making up about 75% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $20,000-$24,000 per year
- Part time students pay in the range of $830 to $990 per unit
- Room and board is estimated to cost around $11,000, the cost includes the serving of nineteen meals every week
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||91%||$7,384|
|Receiving Student Loans||81%||$5,846|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Xavier University of Louisiana may provide student services including:
- Online classes
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
Xavier University of Louisiana has an overall graduation rate which is close to 48%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||19%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||11%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1972)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1998)
Xavier University of Louisiana is a Member of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), with many of the sports being in the NAIA Division I classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Xavier University of Louisiana by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Xavier University of Louisiana.
- University of New Orleans in New Orleans, LA (5 miles away)
- Southern University at New Orleans in New Orleans, LA (6 miles away)
- Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, LA (43 miles away)
- Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, LA (44 miles away)
- Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, LA (72 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Compare all colleges & universities in Louisiana
- Get a list of all private colleges in Louisiana
- See if these other Christian Colleges in Louisiana may interest you?
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Xavier University of Louisiana for official up-to-date information.