List of Private Universities & Colleges in South Carolina
Private universities can be found throughout the state of South Carolina, and can vary greatly in size and enrollment. Most private institutions tend to specialize in specific areas of study, and tend to have higher tuition costs due to a lack of public funding. The level of education offered by private institutions varies from institution to institution, with some schools offering the full range of degree levels, while others may focus specifically on undergraduate or graduate level studies. Private schools tend to have more individualized education options, but may only have a few, if any, research program options in place.
List of Large 4-Year Private Universities in South Carolina
There are 4 large private universities in our database for South Carolina. Follow the links below to get more details about each school.
- Anderson University (AU) in Anderson, SC
- Benedict College in Columbia, SC
- Charleston Southern University (CSU) in Charleston, SC
- Limestone College in Gaffney, SC
Small to Medium Sized 4-Year Universities
The 4-year schools listed below have a small to medium sized student body and may offer a wide range of associate and bachelor's degrees. Get more information about each school by clicking the links below.
- Allen University in Columbia, SC
- Claflin University in Orangeburg, SC
- Coker College (Coker) in Hartsville, SC
- Columbia College in Columbia, SC
- Columbia International University in Columbia, SC
- Converse College in Spartanburg, SC
- Erskine College and Seminary (Erskine College and Seminary) in Due West, SC
- Morris College in Sumter, SC
- Newberry College in Newberry, SC
- Presbyterian College (PC) in Clinton, SC
- South University in Columbia, SC
- Southern Wesleyan University (SWU) in Central, SC
- The Art Institute of Charleston (AICSC) in Charleston, SC
- Voorhees College in Denmark, SC
- Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC
4-Year Colleges with a Special Focus on an Area of Study
The schools below are grouped by their special area of focus. To learn about admissions, tuition & fees, programs offered, and more click on the school names below.
Theological Seminaries, Bible Colleges, and Other Faith-Related Institutions
- Bob Jones University (BJU) in Greenville, SC
Schools of Business and Management
Health Professions Schools
- Virginia College - Charleston in North Charleston, SC
- Virginia College in Columbia, SC
- Virginia College in Spartanburg, SC
Notes: Tuition & fee amounts are for both South Carolina in-state residents and out of state students, unless noted otherwise. The tuition information displayed is an estimate, which we calculated based on historical data and should be solely used for informational purposes only. Please contact the respective school for information about the current school year.
Source: IPEDS Survey 2008-2014: Data obtained from the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Data may vary depending on school and academic year.