Get more information about Wake Technical Community College by clicking links below:
Wake Technological Community College, located in Raleigh, North Carolina, Wake was founded 1958 and to provide career training for individuals in its service are as industrial education center. The school expanded over the years, adding programs and developing closer ties to the community, and eventually becoming recognized officially as became a community college in 1987. The school is typically referred to as Wake Tech, and is one of the largest two year institution in the state, operating five campuses in throughout Raleigh and serving over 64,000 students annually. The school constantly reviews programs and services to ensure that the needs of current and future students are met.
Wake Tech offers various programs that will prepare students for transfer to a 4 year university or offer vocational training to ready students for viable careers. The school offers over 180 certificate, diploma and associates programs in order to ensure a wide variety of opportunities for students. Academic transfer is accomplished by completing the equivalent of the first two years of a bachelors degree. Once done, the student will be able to apply to a college or university to continue their education and earn their four year degree. Students applying to public North Carolina institutions will find that agreements in place between schools will ease transfer requirements.
Career training programs provide a comprehensive education in a specific field, imparting the skills and knowledge necessary to enter the workforce as a qualified professional upon completion. Programs take between one and two years to complete, and are comprised of traditional and practical courses. Practical courses provide the opportunity to develop important skills in a safe environment under the supervision of a professional. Once completed, students will earn a certificate or degree that demonstrates competency and allows for pursuit of an entry level position in their field.
Some programs offered:
- AC, Heating and Refrigeration
- Medical Assisting
- Interior Design
- Environmental Science Technology
- Fine Arts
Admissions and Financial Aid
Students interested in enrolling at Wake Tech should complete the online application, submit all transcripts and test scores take a placement exam. As an open enrollment institution, any students that do so will be admitted as part of the colleges mission to supply higher education opportunities to interested individuals. A meeting with a school counselor is also encourage in order to determine curriculum.
Financial aid is available in the form of loans, grants and scholarships. Students in need of financial assistance must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the information from which will be used by the school in order to determine the extent of one's need and aid program eligibility when constructing an aid packet. Financial aid must be reapplied prior to each academic year.
Wake Tech competes in the NJCAA Region X. Athletic programs provide a forum for health competition among students and allowing for the development of useful skills, such as teamwork, discipline leadership. Athletic programs require students to maintain a good GPA as well as make time in their schedule for practice and away games. Interested student may contact the athletic department for more information.
Athletic programs available:
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $7,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $2,400-$2,900
- Out-of-State: $8,600-$10,290
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $76-$91 per unit
- Out-of-State: $270-$320 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||65%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||56%||$5,698|
|Receiving Student Loans||23%||$5,903|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Wake Technical Community College may offer services including:
- Online classes
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often offer both career training programs and options for students to transfer-out to four year institutions, which is why the table below is so important, it compares Wake Technical Community College against community colleges in North Carolina.
|Wake Technical Community College||Wake County||North Carolina|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Wake Technical Community College
- Dental Assistant Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1989)
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 2002)
- Radiology Technician Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1979)
Campus: Health Science Campus
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 2014)
- See a list of all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in North Carolina
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Wake Technical Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Natural Resources and Conservation
Personal and Culinary Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Wake Technical Community College.
- Johnston Community College in Smithfield, NC (23 miles away)
- Durham Technical Community College in Durham, NC (25 miles away)
- Central Carolina Community College in Sanford, NC (28 miles away)
- Sampson Community College in Clinton, NC (38 miles away)
- Fayetteville Technical Community College in Fayetteville, NC (42 miles away)