Institute of Medical Education
130 Almaden Blvd, San Jose, CA
- FAFSA School Code: 041323
- Phone: (408) 534-0714 x112
- School Homepage
The Institute of Medical Education (IMED) offers vocational training for Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) candidates as well as courses in other health-related fields including medical assisting, phlebotomy, MRI and Ultrasound technology, and dental hygiene. The LPN program here is called a Licensed Vocational Nursing program since that is the designation used in Texas and California while the rest of the US uses LPN. The training is a 15 month daytime program consisting of 606 total hours in the classroom and 972 total hours in laboratory and clinical experiences. IMED has campuses in Oakland and San Jose California.
This program has multiple prerequisites for admission, including:
- High School Diploma or GED and a minimum 17 years of age
- Healthcare CPR Certification
- Successful completion of the IME entrance exam
- Interview with the LVN Director
- Coursework in Anatomy and Physiology, Psychology, Nutrition, Growth and Development, and Pharmacology
Candidates without credit in the prerequisite coursework can fulfill these requirements with courses taken at IMED. All LPN candidates must successfully pass a licensing examination upon completion of their coursework and IMED offers a NCLEX-PN (National Council Licensure Examination-Practical Nurse) preview course lasting two weeks.
The school’s pragmatic approach can be seen in the statistics quoted on their website about LPN careers and average salaries. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics claims job growth in health fields will exceed other areas due to an aging population, with total growth of 21% between 2008 and 2018. Potential candidates should be interested to learn that the website salary.com estimates the median annual salary for Licensed Vocational Nurses in San Jose, California is $49,590 and $46,896 in Oakland.
The programs listed below are some of the programs offered by Institute of Medical Education. The list may differ from the actual programs offered, for a complete list of what courses are offered students can visit the school's website.
Get more information about the programs offered by clicking the request information button to the right.
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (1,552 Hours)
Licensed practical nurse (LPN) program takes ,as reported, fourteen months to complete.
- Tuition (including any fees) estimate is $31,000*
- Cost of required supplies and books: $550*
- Students complete this program in usually 14 months
More details and school listings are available through our licensed practical nurse (LPN) Programs page.
Phlebotomy (200 Hours)
The phlebotomy program offered commonly takes about three months to complete.
- Tuition (including any fees) estimate is $3,000*
- Cost of required supplies and books: $50*
- Based on published reports, around 100 students completed the phlebotomy program last year
- Students complete this program in usually 3 months
Find out more phlebotomy programs by taking a look at our phlebotomy training profile page, which includes listings and career descriptions as well.
Allied Health and Medical Assisting Services (730 Hours)
Allied health and medical assisting services program takes ,as reported, eight months to complete.
- Tuition (including any fees) estimate is $9,000*
- Required supplies and books: $60*
- Students usually complete the allied health and medical assisting services program in 8 months
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) (1,542 Hours)
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) program takes ,as reported, twenty months to complete.
- Tuition (including any fees) estimate is $23,000*
- Cost of required books or supplies: $330*
- Takes about 20 months to complete
Ultrasound Technician (1,990 Hours)
Ultrasound technician program takes ,as reported, twenty-five months to complete.
- Tuition (including any fees) estimate is $32,000*
- Cost of required supplies and books: $600*
- Around 40 students completed the ultrasound technician program last year
- Students complete this program in usually 25 months
Get more details and see other schools listed by visiting our ultrasound technician schools page.
Dental Hygienist (2,505 Hours)
Dental hygienist program takes ,as reported, twenty-four months to complete.
- Tuition (including any fees) estimate is $48,000*
- Cost of required supplies and books: $900*
- Students complete this program in usually 24 months
More details and school listings are available through our dental hygienist schools page.
*The posted costs for tuition, fees and supplies are determined through historical data and may not represent current costs.
**Repayment rates and student loan balances are estimated to provide a comparative context. For more detailed information individuals are asked to contact the school.
Other Healthcare or Nursing Schools Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Institute of Medical Education.
- Unitek College in Fremont, CA (13 miles away)
- Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts in San Mateo, CA (27 miles away)
- Cambridge Junior College - Woodland in Woodland, CA (93 miles away)
- Central California School in San Luis Obispo, CA (159 miles away)
- Carrington College - Reno in Reno, NV (186 miles away)