Southern University at Shreveport, also known as SUSLA, was founded in 1967 as a two year campus of the Historically Black Southern University System, which includes four other campuses. The school offers educational opportunities to residents of Shreveport and Bossier City.
SouthernU was established the efforts of governor John J. McKeithen, who was responsible for the expansion of Southern University into a system of school, and the only historically black system of education in the United States. The schools primary goal is offering a strong 2two year education in order to meet the needs of the community.
Programs offered at SUSLA allow students to explore a variety of options while in pursuit of their future and goals. Students may choose to pursue academic transfer by completing the first two years of a four year education at SUSLA, followed by applying for transfer to a college or university in order to complete the final two years and earn a bachelor's degree.
Vocational training programs provided education and training for high demand fields, allowing the student to enter the workforce as a qualified professional. Student will take between one and two years to complete a program, resulting in a diploma or certificate that demonstrated competency.
Programs offered include:
Admission and Financial Aid
Southern University at Shreveport is a public two year institution that allows any individual that meets the minimum requirements for entry to enroll through the school's open enrollment policy. Interested individuals must submit an application, supply transcripts and standardized test scores, and pay all accrued fees in order to complete the process of admission.
Students may also be required to take a placement exam. Financial aid is available in the form of loans, grants, and scholarships that allow any student in need of financial assistance to apply through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $8,800. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $2,900 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- Part time students pay in the range of $660 to $790 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||88%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||85%||$5,101|
|Receiving Student Loans||68%||$6,640|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help support students, Southern University at Shreveport may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Hygienist Program
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1999)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 2008)
- Find all the other nursing programs in Louisiana
- Radiology Technician Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1988)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Southern University at Shreveport by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Security and Protective Services
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Southern University at Shreveport.
- Panola College in Carthage, TX (41 miles away)
- Northeast Texas Community College in Mount Pleasant, TX (71 miles away)
- South Arkansas Community College in El Dorado, AR (82 miles away)
- Rich Mountain Community College in Mena, AR (143 miles away)
- Southeast Arkansas College in Pine Bluff, AR (155 miles away)