Alvernia University is a nonprofit private institution that has a large selection of programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Reading, Pennsylvania, in a predominantly urban area. The school's Roman Catholic affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's vision. Over 2,900 students enroll at Alvernia University yearly.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
- Communications And Journalism
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
The admissions process begins with the submission of an application, transcripts, and standardized test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions office. An ACT or SAT exam is required prior to applying, with scores between 1295 to 1600 on the SAT and within the range of 18 to 23 for the ACT exam is common among students admitted to this school. Alvernia University admits approximately 80 percent of students applying yearly. Of those students admitted, about 28 percent enrolled. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The cost of tuition is close to $29,000, but may change each year. Students are encouraged to visit the school's price of attendance calculator to better estimate their cost of attending Alvernia University. Housing may be available for students that would like to live on-campus for a cost of $5,300 each year. Students at this school may be eligible for aid which is usually scholarships, grants, and loans.
Alvernia University offers a variety of athletic programs overseen by the NCAA. Available sports offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division III)
- Field Hockey (NCAA Division III)
- Golf (NCAA Division III)
To see a full list of areas of study, enrollment information, admissions information, and more, please visit the school's website at http://www.alvernia.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the students Alvernia University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Alvernia University has a total student population of about 2,900. The student body is made up of 83% undergraduate students and 14% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $31,000-$37,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $840 to $1,000 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||99%||$17,641|
|Receiving Student Loans||91%||$9,817|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Alvernia University may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
Alvernia University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 51%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||35%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program
Alvernia University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division III (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Commonwealth Conference)
- Basketball (Commonwealth Conference)
- Track and Field (Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation)
- Field Hockey
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Alvernia University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Alvernia University.
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks in Reading, PA (4 miles away)
- Kutztown University of Pennsylvania in Kutztown, PA (16 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Lehigh Valley in Center Valley, PA (25 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Schuylkill in Schuylkill Haven, PA (26 miles away)
- West Chester University of Pennsylvania in West Chester, PA (31 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Get a list of all the colleges in Pennsylvania
- Get a list of all private colleges in Pennsylvania
- See other Christian and Bible Colleges in Pennsylvania
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Alvernia University for official up-to-date information.