American University is a nonprofit private institution located in Washington, District Of Columbia and provides a large number of degree programs for students. The United Methodist affiliation of this school is an important part of the history, education and curriculum that defines the school. Enrollment at AU exceeds 13,000 per year.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Legal Professions And Studies
- Social Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
Students applying for admission are most often asked to submit an application, school records, test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions staff. Most common test scores among applicants admitted to AU are between 26 - 30 on the ACT, or 1750 - 2050 for the SAT exam. 42% of those students that apply are accepted to American University, of which 20% choose to attend. More information regarding admissions can be found at american.edu.
The cost of tuition is close to $42,000 for the year. Tuition prices may change for any number of reasons, and as such students should use the school's price of attendance calculator to understand their personalized cost estimate of attendance. The cost of on-campus housing is estimated to be $10,000 for the year. Students at this school may be eligible for aid which is generally scholarships, grants, and loans.
Athletic programs are available at American University through the NCAA, allowing students to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Sports available may include:
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Field Hockey (NCAA Division I-AAA)
- Lacrosse (NCAA Division I-AAA)
To see a full list of academic programs offered, enrollment information, admissions information, and more, please visit the school's website at http://www.american.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may provide a better idea of the candidates American University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
American University has a total student population of about 13,000. The student body is made up of 60% undergraduate students and 14% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $43,000-$51,000 for both in-state and out-of-state students
- Per unit charges are around $1,600 for part time students
- May provide a prepaid tuition option, which allows tuition to be purchased at current rates for enrollment at a future date
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||86%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||75%||$24,156|
|Receiving Student Loans||58%||$7,879|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, American University may provide services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Day care
American University has a very high graduation rate when compared to similar schools nearby.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||76%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||3%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||1%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Law Program
- Music Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
American University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AAA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Patriot League)
- Track and Field (Patriot League)
- Field Hockey
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by American University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to American University.
- University of the District of Columbia in Washington, DC (1 miles away)
- Bowie State University in Bowie, MD (18 miles away)
- University of Maryland - Baltimore County in Baltimore, MD (30 miles away)
- United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD (32 miles away)
- Coppin State University in Baltimore, MD (34 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another:
- Visit the main District Of Columbia colleges & universities profile page
- Compare other District Of Columbia private colleges
- Review a list of District Of Columbia Bible and Christian Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact American University for official up-to-date information.