CSU is a nonprofit private institution located in Charleston, South Carolina and provides a large number of educational opportunities for students. The Baptist affiliation at the school is an important part of the history, education and vision that defines the school. Enrollment at Charleston Southern University is nearly 3,200 yearly.
Areas of study offered at Charleston Southern University include but are not limited to:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
- Recreation And Fitness Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
Students applying for admission are generally asked to submit an application, transcripts, records, test scores and any requested application essays, which will then be reviewed by the admissions office. Most students accepted to CSU have an SAT score in a range of 880 - 1098, or an ACT score in a range of 19 - 24. Roughly 60% of all students that applied were accepted at Charleston Southern University, with 31% of those accepted choosing to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found at csuniv.edu.
The cost of tuition is approximately $23,000, but may change per year. Students are encouraged to use the school's tuition calculator to better estimate their cost of attendance. Students enrolled at CSU may be eligible for aid which is generally loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for Charleston Southern University is the "Buccaneers", and they participate in intercollegiate sports through the oversight and organization of the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include the following:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AA)
Contact information, academics information, programs offered, and more can be accessed on school's website at http://www.csuniv.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the applicants CSU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Charleston Southern University has a total student population of about 3,600, where graduate students make up roughly 21% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $26,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $470 to $560 per unit
- The estimated cost for room and board is around $11,000, which includes twenty-one meals provided per week
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||99%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||99%||$17,979|
|Receiving Student Loans||88%||$6,740|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Charleston Southern University may provide services to students including:
- Distance learning
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
The overall graduation rate of Charleston Southern University is around 36%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||23%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||11%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
CSU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Big South Conference)
- Basketball (Big South Conference)
- Track and Field (Big South Conference)
- Football (Big South Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Charleston Southern University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Charleston Southern University.
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina in Charleston, SC (14 miles away)
- College of Charleston in Charleston, SC (15 miles away)
- South Carolina State University in Orangeburg, SC (58 miles away)
- University of South Carolina - Beaufort in Bluffton, SC (67 miles away)
- Savannah State University in Savannah, GA (87 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Visit the main South Carolina colleges & universities profile page
- Browse our list of private colleges in South Carolina
- See other Christian and Bible Colleges in South Carolina
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Charleston Southern University for official up-to-date information.