Clark Atlanta University is a nonprofit private historically black institution located in Atlanta, Georgia. A majority of historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. The United Methodist affiliation at the school is an important part of the history, education and vision that defines the school. Clark Atlanta University has an annual student enrollment of over three thousand.
Areas of study available at CAU include:
- Communications And Journalism
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Security And Protective Services
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit test scores or other school records, which are then studied by admissions officials. An ACT or SAT exam is required prior to applying, with scores between 770 to 930 for the SAT exam and in a range of 18 to 20 for the ACT exam is typical among students accepted to this school. Roughly 70% of all applicant were admitted at CAU, with 22% of those admitted choosing to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is close to $21,000, but may change per year. Students are encouraged to visit the school's tuition calculator to better understand their personal tuition costs. Student housing is available on-campus for students. The annual cost of housing is estimated to be $5,600. Some students at CAU may qualify for financial aid, which is generally provided as scholarships, grants, and loans.
The CAU Panthers participate in several intercollegiate athletic programs, overseen by the NCAA. Sports available may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
To see a full list of areas of study, programs, enrollment information, student services, and more, please take a look at the school's website at http://www.cau.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the students Clark Atlanta University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Clark Atlanta University is about 3,700, where graduate students make up roughly 23% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $20,000-$24,000 per year
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $830 to $990 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||85%||$8,972|
|Receiving Student Loans||87%||$7,713|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Clark Atlanta University may provide services to students like:
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
The overall graduation rate of Clark Atlanta University is around 39%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||21%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1976)
CAU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Basketball (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Track and Field (Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference)
- Football (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Clark Atlanta University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Clark Atlanta University.
- Clayton State University in Morrow, GA (12 miles away)
- Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville, GA (29 miles away)
- University of West Georgia in Carrollton, GA (41 miles away)
- Gordon College in Barnesville, GA (50 miles away)
- Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, AL (78 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Browse through our complete list of colleges in Georgia
- Compare other Georgia private colleges
- Compare other Georgia Christian and Bible Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Clark Atlanta University for official up-to-date information.