Duke University, a nonprofit private institution, offers an assortment of program options, allowing students to choose which major is right for them. Located in Durham, NC, the school resides in an urban setting for students to study in. The school's United Methodist affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's vision. Approximately 15,000 students are enrolled annually at Duke University.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Duke University offers:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Legal Professions And Studies
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Social Sciences
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to complete an application, write a personal statement, and submit test scores or other school records, which are then studied by the admissions office. The most common test scores among students admitted to Duke University are in the range of 30 - 34 for the ACT exam, or 2020 - 2300 for the SAT exam. Competition for admissions among applicants is high, given that only 20% of students who applied are admitted to the school. More information regarding admissions can be found at admissions.duke.edu.
Tuition is approximately $46,000 for the year, though it may change based on different types of circumstances. Students may visit the school's net price calculator to find what your personalized cost of attendance would be. Housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is estimated to be $7,400. Students at Duke University may qualify for aid which is usually loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for Duke University is the "Blue Devils", and they participate in intercollegiate athletics through oversight by the NCAA. Available sports offered may include the following:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-A)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-A)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-A)
- Fencing (NCAA Division I-A)
Students who would like to learn more about Duke University can take a look at their website at http://www.duke.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the candidates Duke University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Duke University is around 16,000 students, with undergraduate students making up about 42% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $52,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- Part time students pay in the range of $1,500 to $1,800 per unit
- May provide a prepaid tuition option, which allows tuition to be purchased at current rates for enrollment at a future date
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||62%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||44%||$42,704|
|Receiving Student Loans||41%||$5,962|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Duke University may provide services including:
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assisting students to find work
Duke University has a very high graduation rate when compared to similar schools nearby.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||87%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||6%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Duke University Medical Center
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) & Supervisory CPE Program
- * Accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc., Accreditation Commission (since 1974)
Campus: Duke University
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Law Program
- Medical (M.D.) Program
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- Theology (Ministry) Program
Duke University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-A classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Atlantic Coast Conference)
- Basketball (Atlantic Coast Conference)
- Track and Field (Atlantic Coast Conference)
- Field Hockey
- Football (Atlantic Coast Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Duke University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Theology and Religious Vocations
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Duke University.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in Chapel Hill, NC (1 miles away)
- North Carolina Central University in Durham, NC (11 miles away)
- North Carolina A & T State University in Greensboro, NC (41 miles away)
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro in Greensboro, NC (42 miles away)
- Fayetteville State University in Fayetteville, NC (59 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Compare schools and see a list of all colleges in North Carolina
- Get a list of all private colleges in North Carolina
- Review a list of North Carolina Bible and Christian Colleges
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Duke University for official up-to-date information.