Lane College is a nonprofit private historically black institution located in Jackson, Tennessee. A majority of historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. The school's Christian Methodist Episcopal affiliation is one of its defining characteristics and plays an important role within the school's mission. Approximately 2,200 students are enrolled per year at Lane College.
Students may choose from several areas of study, including:
- Business Administration
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Physical Education
To be considered for admissions, students may be required to complete an application, provide letters of recommendations, and submit any transcripts or test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions office. The majority of students at Lane College scored in a range of 14 - 17 on the ACT exam. Roughly 30% of all applicant were admitted at Lane College, with 28% of those admitted choosing to attend.
Tuition is approximately $9,000 per year, though it may vary based on any number of circumstances. Students should check the school's tuition calculator to determine a more personalized cost estimate. Some students at Lane College may be eligible for financial aid, which is generally offered as scholarships, grants, and loans.
The mascot for Lane College is the "Dragons", and they participate in intercollegiate athletics through oversight by the NCAA. Athletic programs available include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Softball (NCAA Division II)
- Tennis (NCAA Division II)
Students who would like to view more about Lane College may take a look at their website at http://www.lanecollege.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the candidates Lane College accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Lane College is about 1,400. The student body is made up of 100% undergraduate students and 32% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $9,000-$11,000 for both state residents and nonresidents
- For part-time students, charges are between $380-$450 per unit
- The average estimated cost for room and board is listed to be around $7,900, the amount includes nineteen meals per week
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||99%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||94%||$8,287|
|Receiving Student Loans||94%||$9,485|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Lane College may provide services including:
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Assistance to find work
Lane College has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 31%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||20%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Lane College is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Basketball (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Football (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Lane College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Lane College.
- Athens State University in Athens, AL (118 miles away)
- Mississippi Valley State University in Itta Bena, MS (168 miles away)
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff in Pine Bluff, AR (202 miles away)
- Kentucky State University in Frankfort, KY (281 miles away)
- Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville, GA (295 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Review a complete list of all the Tennessee colleges
- Find out what other private colleges are located in Tennessee
- Review all the different Tennessee liberal arts colleges
- See if these other Christian Colleges in Tennessee may interest you?
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Lane College for official up-to-date information.